Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Adam Anderson
  • General Contractor
  • Midland, TX
Votes |
Property Analysis in Excel Spreadsheet

Adam Anderson
  • General Contractor
  • Midland, TX
Posted

Does anybody have the property analysis tool available in an Excel spreadsheet? I was thinking of making one myself, but I thought I would check to see if anybody has one first.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Gleason
  • Homeowner
  • Weare, NH
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Weare, NH
Replied

Hi Adam,

I've attached the one I use.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Gleason
  • Homeowner
  • Weare, NH
Votes |
  • Homeowner
  • Weare, NH
Replied

Hi All,
I've noticed several downloads of the file I posted here. Feel free to post or email me any comments especially if you notice any errors in calculation! :mrgreen:

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
A F
  • Commercial Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Commercial Real Estate Agent
Replied

I can help if you want to do a more comprehensive analysis or if you want to send one you have completed for a second opinion.

My contact information is on my site.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I met a young wiz kid recently at a CCIM course. He just started a real estate financial analysis company that specializes in building custom financial models for small investment firms and individual investors. I've never seen anything like it, this kid was amazing.

Needless to say I spoke with him and had him working on one of my deals during the course. He creates a detailed report with everything that the top notch firms have, that we were never able to access. Not only did I end up doing the development, the report got me some great financing and made rounding up investors a breeze.

My point I guess is that basic analysis is great, especially a sheet on excel but a professional can do wonders for your business. FOr how much this kid can make you, I'm amazed he doesn't charge an arm and leg (he is actually pretty cheap if you ask me).

He gave me a few basic sheets for excel that I can send anyone if you send me your contact information.

If anyone is interested in this kid's services let me know and include your contact info. I will pass it along to him (he doesn't like his contact information passed around)

The sheets are more indepth that the one posted but still basic enough to handle without a lot of training.

best.

Other People's Money

User Stats

Votes
Replied

sorry it has taken so long to reply, I'm kind of blown away by how many messages I've gotten asking about more detail. Instead of replying individually, I'm going to try to answer them all at once. I don't know what I've gotten myself into :shock:

1) what do you personally use him for? Well starting about 3 weeks ago I actually signed a "contract" with him. I was so amazed at what he did for me that I now use him on everything I do. For small prospect projects he does basic reports and helps me analysis the location, property, market etc. I have him run numbers to see if they are even feasible. These are not real indepth, I only use the comprehensive one's once I've decided to go forth or if I am deciding between two good projects, or if I am talking to investors.

2) what can he do? I've yet to figure out what he Can't do. Everything I've said "that would be great" he has done. It is hard to explain but everything is really custom. We spoke at lengths about what I was looking for and the next day he has a report that fit the bill. It was really amazing.

I was so impressed (I'm really critical so it doesnt happen often) that I flew him out to give a presentation to some potential investors. He has changed my business and for that I am very grateful. I use to do very small deals now I am doing mid size ($3-$12mil) and almost twice as many. Even the recent economic slow down has had no effect on my business.

3) What does he charge? that is another hard question to answer. He charges a "fair" price, but it is really fair. Please do not relay any of this infomation to him if you speak but I pay him a flat fee on each project and then give him a bonus. Because of what he has done for me I pay him a large amount, but he tells me that he charges fees depending on how much TIME & EFFORT the work requires. For basic number crunching, it sounds like he charges any where from $50-$150. I really don't know. For reports that I use in my presentations, lender apps etc it's a lot more.

4) Is it worth the money? ABSOLUTELY. for less than an appraisal he saves/makes me a huge amount of money. That is why I have him work on everything I do. Any huge deal he is now a part of period. We now compete with the big boys and to me that makes all the difference in the world.

5) Can you email me his contact info? Like I said before no! Give me your contact info and I will pass it along. With his services, there is absolutely no way that you can possible do everything by email unless you have lots of patience. It really helps to just get on the phone with this kid for a few minutes and talk about what you need, fees timeline etc.

6) what do the reports consist of? The reports are like nothing I have ever seen, even from the top analysts I have run across. There are proformas, cash flow analysis, sale/valuation sheets, IRR/NPV analysis (absolutely wild stuff!), expense anaylsis, monte carlo and sensitivity analysis and lots more.

Some of it is above my head, but he clearly explains the importance in his write ups. The thing I like best is "Investor profile" where he describes the ideal investor for a particular project. I found this to be so effective for raising capital, investors love it!

I don't have time to answer anymore right now, I need some sleep badly.

Email me his contact info anyone that has not done so yet. I will not send you his.

I will try to answer the rest of the questions later, but you guys are kind of overwhelming me right now. I'd rather he tells you about his business than me.

- OPM

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Boise, ID
Replied

I would like to meet this whiz kid – I do the same type of work. I work with Excel and Argus extensively. I am a former appraiser and mm buyer for a large company. I have developed excellent formats for presenting and analyzing investment real estate. I use Argus on complex properties, then export the output to my Excel worksheets. These formats are the result of many years of building and refining.

I am now working independently - marketing and valuation analysis. I like to team up with investors or sellers needing help. I am very responsive and reasonable. My analysis can be as detailed and crystal clear as you wish.

User Stats

Votes
Claudio Alegre
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Miami, FL
Replied

Always interested in meeting a whiz kid with a reasonable menu...! Haxton by the way I have your info I'll contact you for a possible project...Im in b/w guys with your skills at the moment.....take care and thanks for the posting!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hi Mike,,,I'm interested in getting a copy of those basic spreadsheets from the whiz kid..I've been gathering info on vacant properties that could be a potential investment and would love to analyze each one and keep track of them..please send them to my email address..I just messaged you on your profile