Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Valverde
Votes |
How to analyze an owner condo conversion to rental

Ronald Valverde
Posted Jul 18 2024, 20:58

Hi all. 

I'm new to the forums and starting to dip my toes in Landlording this year.

How should I analyze my live in condo owned for 9 years. I feel it should be calculated differently from a new investment? I'd like to obtain pure cash flow and cash on cash. I've plugged in the numbers into calculators but it doesn't seem right. Appreciate detailed calculations and clarifications on if/how this is calculated different from a new deal. Posting all the info I can remember. Let me know if need more.

2 bed 2 bath with balcony on high floor. 1396 sf.

Paid $284k with 20% down and approximately $13k in closing, including 2 months maintenance fees $1470 total, and mortgage broker fees approx $3k. Mortgage 15/1 arm at $3.375% with max 4% interest increase due 15 years from July 2015 (Aug 1, 2030).

Current condo monthly maintenance fee : $1036 includes water, amenities (pool, tennis court, concierge, gym, sauna, community room with pool and ping pong, maintenance)

Current monthly mortgage payment: $499 interest, $504 principal 

Monthly taxes and insurance: $459 

monthly contents insurance: $38

Past Assessments: $11k for building HVAC upgrades $8k for building updates and building reserves

current market value $400k - $425k

current  monthly rental median: $3100-$3200

monthly landlord insurance: $45

I'm also trying to decide if I should rent or sell and invest elsewhere.

Appreciate all insights.

-RV

User Stats

Votes
Bradley Buxton
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Nevada
Replied Jul 19 2024, 08:37

@Ronald Valverde

What are your inputs (Rental Income) minus your expenses? The result is your income or cashflow. Other forgotten expenses are vacancy, repairs, and HOA special assessments. What is your exit plan for this condo? What is the plan when insurance rates or HOA fees go up? Can your equity be deployed into another investment that produces more cashflow? Are rents going up in your area? Are there other newer condos being built in your area that might lower your rents or raise them? Run the numbers on a few scenarios.

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Valverde
Votes |
Replied Jul 19 2024, 19:00
Quote from @Bradley Buxton:

@Ronald Valverde

What are your inputs (Rental Income) minus your expenses? The result is your income or cashflow. Other forgotten expenses are vacancy, repairs, and HOA special assessments. What is your exit plan for this condo? What is the plan when insurance rates or HOA fees go up? Can your equity be deployed into another investment that produces more cashflow? Are rents going up in your area? Are there other newer condos being built in your area that might lower your rents or raise them? Run the numbers on a few scenarios.

Hey Bradley
Thanks for the feedback.
I've run most of those numbers but I'd like to calculate what my cash on cash is and I'm not sure which numbers to use. Are the numbers from the purchase price from 9 years ago still valid if calculating return today? Do I include closing costs even if those included several months HOA fees in advance and same for taxes? Seems like the numbers get thrown off. So how do you calculate that after 9 years of owning, how does the equity come into play since most of the calculators assume it's year one with no equity, and how do I factor in the already paid assessments besides that it's increased the cost of the property? 
To answer some of your questions
Gross monthly cash flow is $3200 rent - $2550 expenses = $650 
Yearly cash flow= $7800
Vacancy 8-10% is close to 1 month's rent so = $3200 yearly
Repairs: 5x rule = $576 yearly 
CapEx: 1% of property value yearly= $4,000 (includes Special Assessments)

Once I deduct vacancy, yearly repair budget and capex estimate I'm breaking even, but is that real? $7800 - $7776. And does this mean it's not worth renting?
This assumes I will actually spend all this money. So in this scenario the only profit is in the yearly appreciation and increased equity of $6,000 per year of principal payments.
Exit Plan is to sell, take the equity and likely use in another investment.

If I sell now instead of renting the upside I see is pocketing $85k in appreciated value after paying real estate fees. And taking out my equity of about $110k. Total I recover in cash would be around $195k after paying the bank loan and real estate fees. I've lived in the condo so I would be exempt from paying taxes on Capital gains up to 250k.
However I'd be letting go of a low interest loan of 3.375% which is tough to get in this market.
I would like to purchase more properties so I feel that having this first one will be useful to show lenders.
Am I missing anything else?
Is it worth renting or is selling better and finding another asset?

Thanks, 

Ronald

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.