Local Meetups and Networking

Local Meetups and Networking

Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
Hi all, My goal is to close on a duplex or triplex before May of 2019 (Ideally ASAP), which will be my first deal. I have been reading, listening to podcasts, reading forum posts and excited and ready to jump in. I am focusing on areas of southeastern Massachusetts (currently local to MattapoIsett, MA); New Bedford, Fall River, and possibly Westport. I am also considering areas of Rhode Island; Newport (within Van Zandt Ave and Broadway) and Bristol. I have been in touch with local Real Estate Agents so I can stay on top of the most recent MLS updates. I am looking for a duplex or triplex that needs some work so I can improve the value. I am starting to “drive for dollars” in these areas looking for abandoned properties and off market deals. This also helps me to better understand the areas that I am looking in. The reason I am posting here is because I need to talk with people in this market. I understand I have so much to learn and need help/advice to make this first deal happen. Does anyone have any suggestion for local Meetups in these areas? I am aware of meetup.com and not seeing much that works into my schedule. I travel out of state during the work week and usually back by Friday afternoon. Are there any Meetups in these areas on Fridays or Saturdays? Or any investors already in these areas willing to meetup for coffee/lunch or even a call? Also, any suggestions on Agents in this area that you recommend? Specifically one with rental property experience that understands the investor mindset and willing to help look for those off-market deals? I appreciate any help you may provide and thank yoI for your time! Thanks, Zach
0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 136 posts · 48 votes
8y

You could start a meetup group....surely you are not the only one who is unavailable mid-week.  I hope you find the help you seek.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 136 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    You could start a meetup group....surely you are not the only one who is unavailable mid-week.  I hope you find the help you seek.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    Joe - Thanks for the reply.  Do you suggest starting a meetup group through the BP page? Are there other ways of doing this that you are aware of?

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y
    @Joe Tomko Joe - Thanks for the reply. Do you suggest starting a meetup group through the BP page? Are there other ways of doing this that you are aware of?
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    You start a meetup by forming a group of like minded people.  Meetup.com and BP are simply ways you advertise it.  If you don't have a group of like minded people, you have to find those people by advertising it first, which is pretty much where you are.  

    So choose a day of the week and time, find a location that will let you meet for free, and advertise.  Have an agenda ready, even if the agenda is only going around the room for introductions and then an open Q&A session and discussion. If you want to have monthly speakers and topics, find and confirm that speaker.  Understand it is more difficult to get speakers to drive to your group for just a few people.   Tell the attendees you will keep them notified by email list or Meetup notices, which ever you choose, and then either collect those emails, or ask them to join your group on meetup (emails are more reliable).

    But make no mistake, running a group is work, even if you keep it simple.  And be prepared for relatively small attendance.  The reason most groups meet evenings during the week, is that most people are willing to attend during the week.  Weekends are frequently time for relaxation, travel, family time, etc.  But I'm sure you'll find a few in the same boat as you.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    @Zach Midwood I am starting to look into some of those markets. I am happy to chat one of these days, if you like.
  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y
    @Ann Bellamy Ann, thank you for the feedback. It is very much appreciated!
  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y
    @Kapil M. Kapil, absolutely. I will message you with my contact info. Hope to chat soon!
  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 114 votes
    8y

    @Zach Midwood I am a local investor/business owner in New Bedford, MA. Happy to chat and share my experiences if you'd like to. I only have one home, but definitely willing to share tips/tricks I have picked up over the years.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y
    @Robert P. Thanks Robert! I sent you a message with my contact info. Look forward to chatting!
  • New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 48 votes
    8y

    @Zach Midwood  Hi Zach, I'm glad to see that you're interested in this area! I'm a local investor and realtor here in New Bedford focusing on smaller multi-families and flips. I bought my first 3-unit in New Bedford last year and am currently working on a SF flip in the city with another one in the pipeline. I'm always willing to meet and chat with other investors, so feel free to reach out! 

    I learned first hand that it can definitely be a bit overwhelming starting out. I'd be happy to help you get that first one under your belt! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Manchester, NH · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Zach i have similar goal timeline as you! i sent a connect request. I may try to gather some folks in the near future to have a very casual and less structured meet up, like maybe over a few drinks at a bar or something just for some ice breaking. But i would also love to attend a “real” meet up if someone already has something in the works! 

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y
    @Erik Pfundstein Erik, that sounds like a great idea! Would be a nice way to meet up with some like-minded individuals in the area. Do you have any meet up locations in mind?
  • Natick, MA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Zach Midwood I recently relocated back to MA from California and would also be interested in a meetup. I'm living closer to Boston, so weekends may be better from me as well. Sending a connect request.

  • Rental Property Investor · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 32 votes
    8y
    @Adam Goldberg thanks for reaching out Adam. Seems like we have a small handful of people that would be interested in meeting up to chat about this area. I’ll see if I can start a meetup and post on this thread when I do. Not sure if I can without a Pro membership but I’ll find out. Zach
  • Lender · Raynham, MA · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    guys I just saw this post for some reason now... I am hosting a "south shore / south coast" RE investor meet up in January at the Raynham Stoneforge.  Very informal, over drinks and aps.  I would love to see you guys there and discuss how we can help eachother.  I recently funded a deal for Aaron and his biz partner and I think Aaron was very pleased.  Keep Jan 24 open its a Thursday 

  • Developer · Wilmington, OH · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    7y
    @Russell Lavoie
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Sealy, TX · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    I am also new in real estate and would love to find some local meetups!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.