My daughter's most recent BRRRR deal. Step by step Breakdown

My daughter's most recent BRRRR deal. Step by step Breakdown

Omni CaseyPro Member
Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes

**Hopefully some motivation for anyone just starting out.** I posted this on the BP Facebook Group and was asked to post it here as well.

Growing up we never talked about money. It always felt like a taboo discussion. It made people feel uncomfortable. As a result, I never understood money. I spent most of my life working really hard and getting really good at the game of “Earning Money.” At one point, that was the most important game to understand and I got really good at it…And then, almost overnight I discovered that I was playing the wrong game altogether. Earning money does not matter. Creating money. Now that is the real game. 

I have come to understand that money is somewhere between, on one side, a living and breathing organism capable of exponential growth. It reacts to outside elements like a science experiment, it grows and atrophies like the used and unused muscles in our body…and then on the other side it barely even exists. It is an idea… Crazy, I know. But if you understand these concepts then the game of creating money (not earning) becomes so easy. 

In the Casey household I talk about money all the time with my kids. We play board games that teach us concepts about money. Not because money is important (because its not), but because the ultimate freedom that comes with the understanding of money is important. This post may make some feel uncomfortable, and I apologize for that. But I am committed to talk openly more about the science and the business of money creation (like I do with my kids at home) in hopes that it might become a more common topic at the dinner table in our community. There is no better vehicle or tool to assist you in the game of creating money than real estate. That is the tool that we have been focusing on for a long time.

Below is a detailed breakdown of one of 38 properties that we have purchased so far this year (on our quest to purchase #52PropertiesIn52Weeks ). Every property is different and has different potential and a different strategy. This strategy is by far one of my favorites and is always my preferred method. Earlier this year we bought a vacant duplex in the Northern Virginia area. It needed work and potential structural issues scared off the average buyer. We were able to get the property for $130k cash. (Pro tip) We actually made the seller several different offers with different price points and different terms and they chose the lowest priced offer because the all cash, as-is, quick close terms were the most important to them. This is also a property that Brookie hand picked as she has skin in the game on this deal as well. (we don’t do traditional college funds…we use real estate for that as well). We were able to have our contractors confirm that the structural issue was not a major issue and was isolated to a few rotten floor joists in the back room. Easy fix. We refinished the hardwood floors where they were salvageable and added new floors where they were not. We moved a few walls around to take a poorly designed 2/1 and 1/1 duplex and made it into a much better flowing 3/1 and 2/1 duplex. 

New paint, new appliances and new lighting made this property sparkle and it quickly became the nicest rental on the market. All in the renovations cost just under $30k. We now have $160k invested in this project. We put it on the market for rent and in one day had over 30 applications come in. We found two amazing sets of long-term tenants and are now bringing in just under $3000 a month in rent. Before factoring in any appreciation in value or tax benefits through depreciation, this would be a 16-18% ROI. Not bad, but we are not finished yet.

We had it appraised and the new appraisal value came in at about $298k. If we sold it, after closing costs and getting our $160k investment back we would walk away with $117k (pre-tax). That would be a 73% ROI. Better. However short-term Capital gains taxes are a pain and that would eat up about 37%! Not good. After taxes it would be closer to a 46% ROI. That is why we love the BRRRR cycle and rather than selling to someone else for a profit, we "sell it" to ourselves for a profit through a cash-out refinance. We were able to pull out 75% of the new appraised value and after lender closing costs that gave us about $210k, which is what we did. (This picture below is of Brookie before she took it in to the bank to deposit it

😊

) This pays us back our full $160,000 investment and gives us $50k TAX FREE gains. Yes, the $50k is only a 31% Tax free ROI but being that we got 100% of our investment back, and we still own the cash-flowing property (that we plan to keep forever) everything that we make from that property moving forward is an infinite ROI which is "Created money" (not earned money). After paying the mortgage, taxes, insurance, property manager and setting aside money for repairs and reserves every month there is about a $1200 a month PIFL (Passive Income For Life). Start to finish, (because I hired a great team at every step) I only spent about 15 hours on this deal (Analysis, offer, settlement, design, contractor set up and check ins, rental stabilization, BRRRR refinance paperwork, BRRRR settlement (at Starbucks before work), Selfie with Brookie

🥰

and this post.) I don’t share this to brag. We are actually a very private family and up until now we have gone though great lengths to be anonymous investors through LLCs and corporations. This post will actually get me in trouble with my wife

😬

…. However, there are too many people, too many family members, too many friends that are struggling at the game of “Earning Money”. I am committed to help as many people as possible stop NEEDING to EARN money, and start down the path of CREATING Money. Start down the path of Passive Income For Life. I do not charge for my help (because that would be called earning money…and I hate earning money

😊

). I will help anyone for free if you reach out and ask. This is my passion, and I feel this is my purpose. On to the next deal...Ps if you are going to the BiggerPockets convention in 2 weeks, I will be there and would love to connect!

#omnitheinvestorguy

#52propertiesin52weeks

#newleafredevelopers

#WeichertLoCo

169Reply
468 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 11 votes
5y

This is pure gold.. Congrats on the successful BRRRR.

See this reply in the discussion

186 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2020 · 27 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey Awesome! Likewise Omni, we’ll be in touch, talk to you soon thanks!

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 2 votes
    5y

    Great post! I am struggling getting my children on board with my visions. I've begun my real estate investing journey with one property that I've completely rehabbed alone. My children are so self focused. I'm currently finishing my rehab and keep debating on renting or selling. The profit is attractive but then I feel I will have money with no buying options due to the current market. I want to rent but the home is in a C class neighborhood which worries me on renters not caring for the home that I've put my heart and soul into for the past year. I have yet to have it appraised to look at refinancing. So, Suggestions for keeping or selling and getting my children on board since this journey will benefit them later in life??

  • Insurance Agent · Highland Village, TX · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Thank you for this story. My family is just starting out on the "creating money" journey and have had several deals fall apart. I'm not discouraged because I know every no is closer to a yes and I don't want a yes on a property that isn't right :)

    This is a reminder why we are going down this path. Why we analysis so many deals. Thank you :) 

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 115 posts · 70 votes
    5y

    Great story.  I just finished my fifth house and finalized the lease.    If you cash-out refinance, doesn't that bring down your cash flow?  If you pay all cash for your properties, you are not maximizing the use of your $.

  • sunrise fl · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Thank you for the motivation.

  • Southern California · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    That's amazing - truly inspirational! :)

    What would you say is the most effective method of finding good deals such as these?

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Christian Rojmar:

    Amazing!! Congrats to your daughter on the amazing property and thumbs up to you for teaching your kids these lessons early in life!!

     Thank you Christian

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jared Boundy:

    Great story! Thanks for sharing. Your daughter is fortunate to have you helping her learn in this way.

     Thank you Jared!

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Johnathon Sesi:

    @Omni Casey

    Thank you for sharing this! It is truly inspiring as I have 4 young children that I would love to go into REI with them some day! Congrats on the home run!

     Thank you Johnathan.  

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Santiago Marquez:

    Congrats to your Brookie! & the whole Casey family ! Keep going Yaay!!

     Thank you Santiago

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Pooja Jangid:

    @Omni Casey great post👍 I actually need help with buying my first investment deal through this strategy. Can you please help me in anyways?

    Thank you!!

     Pooja,  I'd be happy to help.  Feel free to PM me and we can connect.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Patrick Villaviza:

    This is very inspirational! I'm new to BP and I've been hearing a lot of this BRRRR method from the BP podcast and really caught my attention, and I'm planning to do this strategy myself in a couple of months. I'm still educating myself with RE investing and really getting that strong mindset for this new journey while I'm saving up for my down payment to get my first rental property. Well anyway, congratulations on this! I'm going to save this post so I can go back to it when I do my first one! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

    Patrick, Thank you and good luck on your first BRRRR! I look forward to hearing about your success here

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chinyere Orie:

    Nice job!  And thanks for posting!

     Thank you Chinyere

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jorge Ocampo:

    @Omni Casey

    can you help me .

     Jorge, Happy to help.  Feel free to PM me.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Richard Smith:

    This thread and your daughter’s project is inspiring!  I am just getting started on my journey which I have wanted to do for years.  I admit, it is daunting to begin.  Thanks so much for both of you sharing.  Not only is it informative, but encouraging to see the number of properties you are taking down. 

     Thank you Richard.  Good luck on your next deal!

  • Realtor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 12 votes
    5y

    @Omni Casey Thank you so much. You are an amazing and kind person.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Lake Lutes:

    Awesome stuff @Omni Casey - thanks for sharing. Unique to see the rearranging of walls to expand the duplex even further. Was there any permitting needed for moving the walls around? Hope to chat more about the deal soon, thanks!

     Aloha Lake! I see you are in Hawaii.  I am originally from Hawaii and started my real estate journey there.  Would love to connect at some point.  No answer your question, Being that we did not touch the electrical when we added walls we did not need permits for that portion of the project.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kevin C.:

    This is fantastic! Almost makes me want to have another child. Almost. 

     

    🤣🤣🤣



  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Kervin P.:

    Congrats!

     Thank you Kervin.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jacob I Strauss:

    Omni,

    Thank you for sharing truly motivating and it hit some real cords with meas to why I do what I do. For me its not work its fun, its challenging, and I think we all have it in us to do it if we want it bad enough. I would love to get to know you more and hopefully one day if we meet up have some stories of my own to share.

    thank you for sharing :)

     Jacob, Well said and thank you.  Would love to connect as well.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Erick Chero:

    @Omni Casey this is so inspirational, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

     Thank you Erick.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Fitzgerald:

    @Omni Casey

    Great post! I’m with you! I have 7 kids (4 adopted)

    And I purposely talk about money around them.

    I’m the sold bread winner as a realtor in my home and I am building my first investment. Which will cash for $800 month and I’ll have $60,000.00 in equity.

    We will also have a flip using OPM coming up.

    I want my kids to see the freedoms and the fun with what we do!!! (They also the frustration) but still!!

     Jacob, that is awesome! You have your own built in crew and fully staffed investor team in the making!  Love it!

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alvin A. Gonzalez:
    Brandon Turner did the same for his daughter. This is a great way to pay for your kid's college. #Brilliant

     Absolutely! 

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Brady Hales:

    Do you have any before and after pictures?

    Brady, Sure.  Not sure how many photos I can get on a post but I will try.

  • Omni CaseyPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Member since 2020 · 504 posts · 203 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Zachary Forrest:

    @Omni Casey

    So inspiring! Awesome how you also incorporated your daughter in the process a bit!

     Thank you Zachary.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.