Votes
Austin Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Brrrrr how to refinance?

Austin Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Nov 13 2019, 12:02

How do you refinance into a loan, after the property has already been paid for with cash?

User Stats

Votes
Scott Jensen
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Blaine, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Blaine, MN
Replied Nov 13 2019, 12:59

@Austin Walker It is considered a cash out refi. If you're doing a BRRR you need to wait until seasoning requirements have been met in order to refi using the ARV value rather than the purchase price.

Renovate Financial Planning Logo

User Stats

Votes
Austin Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Nov 17 2019, 15:34

@Scott Jensen- are the seasoning requirements based on the LTV or a period of time. Can you cash out as soon as you get a renter?

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Jensen
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Blaine, MN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Financial Advisor
  • Blaine, MN
Replied Nov 17 2019, 16:06

Period of time. Typically it's 6 months or a year depending on the type of loan. Make sure your loan officer knows you want to refi ASAP at the new appraisal value rather than the purchase price. They should be able to get you into the right type of loan for that.

You don't need the renter in there unless you need the rental income to qualify for the loan.

Renovate Financial Planning Logo

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Nov 19 2019, 08:08

@Austin Walker sorry I am just catching this posting now. The basic element here is that you should get "PreQualified" before you purchase the home so you know what type of loan you can receive when you purchase a property that fits the BRRRR method. And what @Scott Jensen mentioned above isn't incorrect, but I did write an article on how to avoid any "seasoning" periods that you may run into with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans (but there are other loans out there).  To see the article I wrote for Bigger Pockets on it just click HERE

Let me know if you have any questions on it.  Thanks!

Guaranteed Rate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Austin Walker
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Nov 19 2019, 08:09

Awesome!! Thanks!