Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Taylor
  • Contractor
  • brooklyn, ny
Votes |
Seeking Advice on Structuring a BRRRR Deal for a Foreclosed Property

Daniel Taylor
  • Contractor
  • brooklyn, ny
Posted Jul 19 2024, 12:24

I'm currently looking into the BRRRR method (Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat) and need some advice on structuring a deal for a house that's in foreclosure.

Here's a brief overview of my situation:

• Property Value: According to Zillow, the house is worth $649,500.
  • Current Loan Amount: $470,000, which is the current market value without any repairs.
  • Funding: I'm looking for a hard money lender to cover 100% of the purchase cost and rehab cost.
  • Tenants: I already have tenants in place.

I'm working on getting the exact numbers for the rehab costs, but I would appreciate any advice on how to structure this deal effectively. Specifically, I'm looking for insights on:

1. Finding a reliable hard money lender who can finance the entire purchase and rehab costs.
  2. Strategies to present this deal to the lender to increase the chances of approval.
  3. Any potential pitfalls or things to watch out for in the BRRRR process, especially given the foreclosure status of the property.
  4. Tips on managing the rehab while tenants are already in place.

Thank you in advance for your help!

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 19 2024, 12:27

Hey Daniel, 

Unfortunately, in this market, finding a hard money lender to finance the entire purchase and rehab is unrealistic. You may be able to get away with 10% down if you have multiple fix and flips/holds completed in the last 36 months and the LTARV allows for it. 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Taylor
  • Contractor
  • brooklyn, ny
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • brooklyn, ny
Replied Jul 19 2024, 12:33
Quote from @Erik Estrada:

Hey Daniel, 

Unfortunately, in this market, finding a hard money lender to finance the entire purchase and rehab is unrealistic. You may be able to get away with 10% down if you have multiple fix and flips/holds completed in the last 36 months and the LTARV allows for it. 

what if im able to fund 100 percent of rehab myself, would i be able to secure 100 percent of loan for purchase?

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 19 2024, 12:38
Quote from @Daniel Taylor:
Quote from @Erik Estrada:

Hey Daniel, 

what if im able to fund 100 percent of rehab myself, would i be able to secure 100 percent of loan for purchase?

No. Most hard money lenders will cut the initial loan amount on the purchase, if the rehab is self funded/financed. 

BUT if you cross collateralize with another property you own that has equity, you'll be able to get closer to 100% CLTV.

User Stats

Votes
Connor Hibbs
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Farmington, CT
Replied Jul 19 2024, 12:47

Hi Daniel, 100% financing for your project really isn't very feasible in this market. Depending on your experience you'll likely be somewhere between 75% - 90% of the purchase price and possible up to 92.5% if you have lots of experience as well as experience in the area. Also, like Erik had mentioned, lenders will typically cut from the initial advance to ensure that the full rehab is funded. From the lenders point of view, they want to see that you have "skin in the game" that way if you do run into any complications, you'd be more motivated to address them as you are invested financially in the project yourself.

Regarding the tenants, I'm a bit less experienced in that regard. I do know that the level of rehab you're doing and your timeline for completing the rehab will play a role in your options.