Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Construction Clean Up

Posted Jul 1 2024, 08:45

Hello everyone. Doing a remodel on a 750sqft unit and am curious on what people use to haul the demo away? Doing a lot of DIY especially demo. What’s the typical cost for a dumpster? Are their cheaper options? I got a quote for using an 11yard for 2 days for $400. Seems extremely high but maybe it’s typical? 

Would be about 6 doors I’d say, carpet, flooring and old trim for sure. Any recommendations/advice? 

User Stats

Votes
Ty Coutts
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied Jul 1 2024, 09:41

Hey Brett,

Dumpster Rental Options:
Dumpster Size: An 11-yard dumpster is suitable for a 750 sqft unit remodel. It typically holds about 3-4 pickup truck loads of debris. For comparison:

10-yard dumpster: Holds approximately 3-4 pickup truck loads.
20-yard dumpster: Holds approximately 6-8 pickup truck loads.
Depending on how much debris you estimate (6 doors, carpet, flooring, old trim), an 11-yard dumpster might be sufficient.

Cost Considerations: Dumpster rental costs can vary widely based on location, duration of rental, and the company you choose. $400 for a 2-day rental of an 11-yard dumpster might seem high, but it’s important to consider what’s included (delivery, pickup, disposal fees) and whether there are any weight limits.

Alternative Options:
Bagster Bags: These are large, disposable bags that you fill with debris and arrange for pickup.
Junk Removal Services: Some companies specialize in hauling away specific types of debris. They may charge based on volume or weight.
Local Waste Management: Check if your local waste management authority offers bulk item pickup or special services for construction debris.

Let me know if you have any other questions. My DMs are always open, so feel free to reach out! Hope this helped. 

User Stats

Votes
Matt Vohnoutka
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied Jul 1 2024, 20:43

@Brett Riemensnider, I had demo debris from an 800sf unit that required a dumpster rental.  With drop-off and pick-up in Northeast Minneapolis, I paid just under $400 base rate for a 10-yard dumpster with a 7 day window.

However, I also had a ton of plaster and lath that we had demo'd out of the unit and ended up getting hit with another $95 weight overage charge from the dumpster company.  Sounds like you might not have as much debris to get rid of as I did, but it would probably still be worth it to ask about what charges you would incur if the dumpster is overweight at pick-up.  Hope this helps!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryon Andrews
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Replied Jul 2 2024, 08:00

@Brett Riemensnider I have always used A-1 Rolloff in Minneapolis and St Paul and have had a great experience.

• Real Estate Agent Wisconsin (#110141) and Minnesota (#40860934)

• 715-892-4596