Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Brenner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
First Deal = Quadplex!

Kevin Brenner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Washington, DC
Posted Nov 18 2018, 14:18

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment in Savannah.

Purchase price: $350,000
Cash invested: $20,753

Just closed on my first 4-Plex in Savannah, GA. I found a great deal (used my VA) from a wonderful older woman who was simply looking to get out of the land-lording business (after 30 years)! The building has a ton of historic charm and I look forward to rehabbing the units to provide a better quality of life for my tenants.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I knew that the VA would allow me to purchase up to a 4-unit property costing up to $453,000 with 0% down! I prefer MFH versus SFR because I'm able to multiply my cash flow while keeping my CapEx relatively small. It's a dream come true.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found this deal driving for dollars and scouring the MLS. Savannah (and the south in general) has a ton of small MFH properties. A lot of them were built in the 50's and 60's and need some TLC. I found the deal and worked with my agent to negotiate a "fair" price. In retrospect, I probably should have come down a bit based on it's current rent roll and appraisal and not future/potential rent roll. Chalk that one up to a rookie mistake.

How did you finance this deal?

VA 0% down. I bought this Quad for $3500 out of pocket!!!

How did you add value to the deal?

I rehabbed the common area, added a washer/dryer hookup to units that didn't have one already, reglazed all of the exterior windows, repainted the exterior, added functional off street parking for 4 cars, and rehabbed all of the units.

What was the outcome?

The first unit rehab is almost complete. I'm expecting to land a tenant in there paying $1200/mo by the end of December (that's a $525/mo jump from the previous tenant - and no I'm not evil, it's well within market rent)! The next rehab starts in January and I hope to have similar results in February!

Loading replies...