Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
John Taylor
  • Property Manager
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
Has anyone used Carleton sheets

John Taylor
  • Property Manager
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Posted Jul 14 2009, 06:59

Has any investors used charleton sheets program? And does it work? I heard so many bad and a few good stories about his program. He keeps emailing me to join just courious

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Jul 14 2009, 03:08

The first course I ever looked at was Carleton Sheets. It was given to me by a friend and was very basic.

What are they emailing you to join?

You can probably find the course up on ebay or something for cheap, if you really want it.

User Stats

Votes
John Taylor
  • Property Manager
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Queen Creek, AZ
Replied Jul 14 2009, 03:17

his online course is free. Took a look at it and they leave alot of things out of it of course. but wants you to pay alot of money to be in his network to find out things that are outdated. I just dont know if it would be worth the investment

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Stephani Davis
  • Real Estate Investor
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied Jul 14 2009, 07:28

The Carleton Sheets course was my first re course also. I saw an infomercial @ 3am while I was on vacation (at a Motel 6- woohoo!). I put it on my Visa, and read the whole thing from cover to cover the day I got it in the mail.

Like Josh said, it's very basic, and these days, you can get the same info for free on the internets,

I'm glad I bought it, though, as it was what initially opened my eyes to creative real estate, and ultimately led me to being able to give the middle finger to my J-O-B. :)

I'd save your money on the course (or joining his "network")- you can get the same info here (better, actually), for free.

Good luck,
Steph

User Stats

Votes
Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Replied Jul 14 2009, 07:34

Join a local REI group. Take some of the real players out to lunch and pick their brains.

Read a ton of books. Read up a ton here.

What you'll eventually find is that the 'secrets' for succesfully investing in RE are relatively simple, but often difficult to put into practice.

Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Rossi
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Ohio
Replied Jul 14 2009, 09:15

I also started with the Carleton Sheets No-Money Down course and believe that it's an excellent basic course. The good thing about having a course like this, is that it lays things out in a logical order. As the others have said, you can probably buy it on e-bay for the cost of a book and it would be well worth that!

I would not recommend paid coaching, mentoring, or any bootcamps. You can get better info by joining your local REIA and learning from the successful local investors (and of course reading the forums here at BP and asking questions).

Good Luck,

Mike

User Stats

Votes
Paul Theriault
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madawaska, ME
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Madawaska, ME
Replied Jul 14 2009, 13:32

Hello John, I was on his infomercial for 7 years. I bought his course back in 1997 and put it to use. I studied his program every night like he explained in his beginner guide and within three months I owned over 30 units. I think his course is really easy to read and understand and he actually tells you step by step what to do to get your first deal done. There are lots of better and more in depth courses out there but for me at the time I thought it was perfect. If I was you I'd check on ebay and possibly get it for under $50.00. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can do anything else for you:)