Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
International Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Henrique D.
Votes |
Refinancing in Portugal?

Henrique D.
Posted Mar 28 2021, 03:55

I'd like to apply to BRRRR method in Portugal but I'm struggling to understand how to do the refinance part. Unlike the US banking in Portugal is consolidated in a few banks which means that things that are common in the US like credit unions or local lenders are not found there.

Has anyone had experience in doing BRRRR with Portuguese lenders?

User Stats

Votes
Camila Wong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lisbon
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lisbon
Replied Apr 2 2021, 06:30

Hi Henrique
I have the exact same question
Let me know if you have any information about that, i will do as well

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • The Americas and Europe
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 3 2021, 08:28

@Henrique D.

@Camila Wong

You can refinance but you need to wait minimum 2 years after your purchase.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Henrique D.
Votes |
Replied Apr 3 2021, 10:28

Thank you for the answer @Mike Lambert! Is this called "hipoteca" or "crédito hipotecário"? I've found this link (in Portuguese) which seems to describe the refinancing process.

Do you know if the major banks are usually happy to do this? So for the buy and rehab steps, is the best strategy is to find an alternative lender (or use cash)? Any advice or places you can point me to would be greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 3 2021, 11:17

@Henrique D.

No worries. It'd be a hipoteca. Yes, they should be happy to do it and yes, you'll have to find alternative solutions for the buy and rehab.

User Stats

Votes
Camila Wong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lisbon
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lisbon
Replied Apr 3 2021, 13:28

Thank you for the valuable information @Mike Lambert  

Aside from banks, is there other institutions we could get the refinance faster here in Portugal? 

User Stats

Votes
Mike Lambert
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Apr 3 2021, 19:39

@Camila Wong

You're welcome. Normally speaking, only banks give long term financing. You'd have to find a private lender to give you a bridge loan.

User Stats

Votes
Camila Wong
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lisbon
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lisbon
Replied Apr 4 2021, 15:43

Great
Thank you @Mike Lambert i really appreciate your help!

User Stats

Votes
Henrique D.
Votes |
Replied Apr 26 2021, 07:57

Hi, @Mike Lambert I've been talking to some credit intermediaries to get some clarification on the various financing options available. And one of the things I've been told is that there is no seasoning for refinancing which contradicts what you said about the two year period. Can you provide more info on where you got that information? Could this be specific to a bank you spoke to or the property?

I received wrong information from people in the Portugal RE industry before so I'm not super confident the person I talked to is correct I'm just trying to get more data points.

In case it's useful for others these are some other bits of info I've learned

• Refinancing is possible but it is more expensive than conventional (usually the spread is 1-2% higher) and it is necessary to explain to the bank what will be done with the money.
  • It is not necessary to wait to own the property for a certain time to obtain mortgage credit. This credit can go up to 30 years.
  • An alternative to refinancing is to take out a loan for purchase and renovation, which requires a 30% down payment. The renovation budget can be artificially inflated so you can have a "cash pillow" for maintenance or anything else really.
  • The conventional loan for purchase and rehab is the most commonly used by investors
  • If you have a company it is also possible to apply for loans but it is necessary to have at least 6 months of activity. The maximum duration of commercial loans is 15 years.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 20 2021, 13:38

Hi @Henrique Dantas have you been able to verify the points you mentioned above from a bank?

User Stats

Votes
Henrique D.
Votes |
Replied May 20 2021, 23:37

Hi @Jason Johnston, no I haven't done it at this time. If/once I do I'll update this post. If you happen to know more information on this topic it would be great you could share it as well. The more data points the better.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 28 2021, 02:19

Hi @Henrique D., I've been also speaking with banks to understand how a refinance of an investment property can be implemented. The feedback was the same as what @Mike Lambert said. Apparently you can do it with a "Crédito Multifunções" but there are some restrictions implemented by the Bank of Portugal:

• If the property was acquired less than 2y ago: This type of loan is limited to 80%-Loan To Cost (from what I understood rehab costs are not included).
  • If the property was acquired more than 2y ago: This type of loan can be used until a max of 80%-Loan to value not limited to the acquisition cost.

Let me know if you had different feedback. 

User Stats

Votes
Henrique D.
Votes |
Replied May 28 2021, 10:53

This is great, thanks for adding your experience as well. If I get more info at some point in the future I'll update this thread

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 7 2022, 14:23

Hi @Henrique D. Have you moved forward with any investment and if so the BRRRR Method?
just getting started at looking at the best way to invest and scale in Portugal. Buy to let, and of course BRRRR would be ideal if possible. 

If anyone else have some advice feel free to jump in :) 

Thanks 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 17 2022, 11:55

Hi Everyone - very helpful thread! My wife and I are also looking at BRRR investment opportunities in Portugal, specifically the Lagos area. After reading this thread I sent an email to my Mortgage Broker to get additional information about refinance options in PT and I'll share what I learn.
What areas of Portugal are you all looking to invest?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 18 2022, 09:55

Hi Everyone - I asked my Mortgage Broker in Portugal (CAFIMO) about being able to use the BRRR method in Portugal (specifically calling out that we'd buy in cash, improve the home, and then refinance) and here is the response she provided:

If you buy it in cash you don’t need to wait for 2 year to get an home equity loan, however you wont be able to get the same Loan to value for this purpose, usually the bank goes to 50% of the property value only.

So it looks like like rather than the 70% LTV that's normal in the US, in PT it's 50%.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Beneventi
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Porto & Lisbon, Portugal
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 19 2022, 03:13

@Jaysin Anderson great information. If I may suggest, try reaching out to Hugo Pinheiro at "Credível" as well for a second opinion, just for due diligence's sake, and see what he says. Cheers!

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Beneventi
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied Aug 19 2022, 03:15

@Jaysin Anderson I would also suggest you reach out to @Ricardo Matos; he is an educator, investor, and friend of mine here in Portugal who will have some good insight regarding BRRR here.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 19 2022, 08:27

Thanks for making the connection @Joshua Beneventi!  Ricardo I'll send you a message directly.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Lopes
  • New to Real Estate
  • Leiria
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Leiria
Replied Oct 19 2022, 04:06

Hello Guys, i also had that question myself.
This year i bought my first MultiFamily Properety in Leiria and i want to scale it as quick as i can. 

My plan was to do the BRRRR Method, but it looks it its not that easy here in Portugal, what you guys think its the best way here? I Can do the BRRRR or i need to find another solution like an "Hipoteca"

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied Jul 15 2024, 11:44

I have a call with CAFIMO tomorrow, and while I'm not planning on doing a refinance based project right now, I'll ask about this and see what the broker has to say now. :)