Lease and Common Standards in Austin

Lease and Common Standards in Austin

Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 0 votes

Hi,

As an owner and first time landlord, I am trying to rent out my house (which is technically a condo) myself. I wanted to know if there was a standard boiler plate document for leases. I know for apartments, people use the following (as I did when I was renting an apartment):

https://www.taa.org/resources/...

Is there a standard one for houses or for condos (since it technically is a condo). On top of that, being new to Austin TX, I'm unsure what the common arrangements are between tenant and landlord for the following and would love to get the group's insight into common practices:

1. Who maintains the lawn? (mowing the lawn)

2. Who maintains the pool? (like cleaning it)

3. What are some things that are unquestionably the Landlord's responsibility and things that are unquestionably the tenant's responsibilities?

4. What are some things that are murkier and unclear and should be written explicitly in the lease contract?

Thank you!

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Redmond, WA · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 65 votes
    5y

    I can't speak for a condo, but generally 1 and 2 is tenant. You'll, of course have to ensure the pool, lawn, etc. are spiffy before your tenant moves in (but I guess that goes without saying). 

    no3 is an interesting question - in terms of regular care, I don't believe there's anything I do or oversee, but if there are structural issues, or a problem (like wind blew down my fence, or water sprinkler broke - those are things that I'm responsible for). If they "break" something (like, say, clogged the waterpipes in the John), they're responsible. 

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Thank you @Vik J. Anyone have thoughts on how to get an appropriate lease for house/condos. Are they standard and boiler plate?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.