Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Tax Liens & Mortgage Notes
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ian Jaeger
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
How to value a garage refurb

Ian Jaeger
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Nov 24 2020, 20:52

Hey all, recently bought a property here in Dallas and am doing some work to it prior to doing a house hack / airbnb thing with it.  The majority of the house was actually in pretty good condition, but the garage was a wreck.  

I'm trying to set up a line of credit to smooth out the cash flow for the refurb and one of the things I'm struggling with is how to 'value' a garage refurb.  Intrinsically, there's value to turning an old, dingy, rodent-infested, unfinished dirt-catch into a clean, well-lit, nicely finished space complete with a stainless workbench with sink / drain, cabinet enclosed, stacked washer/dryer, matching cabinets around a large gun safe and the water heater.  And Epoxy/Poly-U floor coating.

Does anyone have any information on what a comparable set of properties with the only difference being a clean, finished garage versus an original, unfinished space is?

-Ian

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Nov 24 2020, 22:10

I personally give no value to enclosed garages....because now it doesn't have the garage.  So you can add for the room, but then I subtract for the garage.  I suppose if you AirBnb it and you can get extra rent out of the space, vs it being a garage, then you could back into your number based on the income you generate for the house itself, and then how much extra you're able to get for the rehabbed garage space.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Mirza
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Replied Nov 25 2020, 09:19

@Ian Jaeger I've talked to appraisers about situations similar to this. They've told me that they'll give value to something (like an unpermitted room addition), if it's acceptable as normal in that market. They appraise what's actually, physically, in front of them. If it's something common to that market that buyers will pay more money for, then they'll include it in their opinion of value.

Another example is a pool. In some areas, pools are essential and expected. In other areas, it might be a luxury and add value. In other areas, a pool might make absolutely no difference and won't add a penny to the property value.

Although your garage conversion might add value to what you're trying to do, it might not necessarily translate to added property value.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Ian Jaeger
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Nov 26 2020, 20:41

@Andy Mirza

Not sure I was totally clear; I’m not closing this off for a room. It’s going to be a garage, but finished out with epoxy floors, good lighting, actual cabinetry, and electrical for a real workbench or Tesla charger.

Here in Dallas, people do take pride in functional garages. And there are some of the new build houses where they literally spend more in the garage than in the family room... I’m not that deep into it, but definitely looking to make this a big upgrade.

I’ll post pics as the work progresses... or maybe start a thread and just link to that.

User Stats

Votes
Andy Mirza
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Ladera Ranch, CA
Replied Nov 27 2020, 06:42

@Ian Jaeger Whatever you do with the garage the same principles apply. Are your garage upgrades what's generally expected in that neighborhood. If so, the appraiser may give you some value for it. If it's not a widespread expectation in the community, he won't.