Where to purchase non-performing 2nd liens?

Where to purchase non-performing 2nd liens?

Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 55 votes

Hello,

I'm interested in purchasing non-performing 2nd's and have found a few different online sellers/brokers as well as a hedge fund that sells them. The hedge fund sent me a tape with 800+ notes, but has a minimum purchase size of $100K. Since I am looking to start with two or three notes to learn the process (for a total investment of $15-25K) this isn't a viable option at this point. My plan is to focus on 2nd's with a performing first, with some equity above the first, but not necessarily fully covered.The primary sources I've found are:

1.) FCI - appears to have decent selection. Have heard Gordon Moss refer to FCI (and others) as an "online joker broker" which makes me wary.

2.) Note Marketplace - doesn't seem to be the safest/most legit source 

3.) Loan Market - decent selection of firsts, but few 2nds, and prices seem high across the board

4.) PPR - pricing looks pretty good. Current selection of 2nd's doesn't look great (not many with current firsts or any equity above the first), but have heard good things about PPR. Could wait it out for better selection...

5.) Watermark 

6.) Dreambuilder Investments - very large selection and good pricing, but minimum purchase of $100K 

For those experienced with non-performing 2nd's, how would you recommend getting started and where would you purchase them? I've heard that it's about relationships, but I don't know anyone who invests in this space so I'm not sure how to build the relationships. I'm open to all options as I'm motivated to learn this niche, but first I need to know where to find the notes and the other investors!

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y

We've purchased 4 notes via FCI Exchange with great results. Watermark does not negotiate and I've never been impressed with their inventory. PPR is a very credible company as well. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ashland, MA · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    I was referred to NoteMogul.com for their training which I found it to be very good and affordable too, and the instructors are very knowledgeable . They teach NPN in general but specialize in 2nds. Once you develop a relationship with them, you can buy 2nds from them. They claim to have a large and ever changing inventory. I hope this helps and good luck with your NPN investing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    Thank you! I'll check them out.

  • Lender · Fremont, CA · Member since 2014 · 292 posts · 102 votes
    10y

    @Eric Jones, I have a question for you. Ive tried registering with loanmarket.net and it says i will have to call their 800 number to get the account activated. Called them multiple times and i get the voice message every single time.

    Wondering if they are still actively selling notes? Or how did you get your account activated with them ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    @Pari Thiagasundaram -I had the exact same problem and called them as well. But no luck, so I just gave up on purchasing notes through loanmarket.net. 

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Eric Jones You can start with PPR or NNG. Write to me before pursuing option 6.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    We've purchased 4 notes via FCI Exchange with great results. Watermark does not negotiate and I've never been impressed with their inventory. PPR is a very credible company as well. 

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    @Bob Malecki I'm impressed you found 4 diamonds in the rough on there.  I have found 1 good one only so far.  I usually sell notes I can't work out on there.

  • Investor · Kingston, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    It takes a lot of DD and negotiating. I've also got 34 rejected offers..........

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.