Current deals on merchandise

Current deals on merchandise

Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I'm extremely cheap and have a couple friends who are as well. We are constantly telling each other about good deals we see on stuff. Not just real estate related, but everything.

For example, I was at Costco the other day and they have a stainless steel side by side Whirlpool fridge with ice and water on the door for $799. I think this would be a good deal for a flip house.

This morning, I was reading the papers and saw a deal in the Menard's flyer. You can purchase a towel for $4 and mail in a rebate form to receive $5. The $5 will be a store credit, but you still make $1 for each towel you purchase. There is a limit of five.

Also, if you have a Meijer (midwest store) in your area, you save five cents per gallon of gas if you use your Meijer card. They also have 15% off general merchandise once per month with your card and 5% off groceries.

Sometimes Home Depot will have stuff on sale for super buys too. One time, they had light fixtures in packs of four for $24 per box. I bought all of them. If anyone else sees any good deals on stuff, please post them.

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
13y

David Niles,
I'm familiar with slickdeals.net and another one that I visit is fatwallet.com

Raymond

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · -, IL · Member since 2010 · 409 posts · 616 votes
    13y

    Menards has awesome sales with their rebate program. I can't tell you how many times I would pick up 6 packs of rollers, paint brushes, hand tools, etc that were free after mail in rebate. Even though the rebate is in the form of store credit, I always use it up because they kick the crap out of Lowe's prices.

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    13y

    Website I always watch for all sorts of deals is slickdeals.net . Dont go if you dont want to spend money though, everytime I visit, I end up buying stuff.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Just saw a Home Depot flyer. Interior six panel hollow slab doors are even cheaper now. $17 each - all sizes. They were on sale for $22 and I bought some and put them in. They look WAY better than the flat doors from the 1960's.

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    13y

    David Niles,
    I'm familiar with slickdeals.net and another one that I visit is fatwallet.com

    Raymond

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    This thread has not proven to be very popular, but I wanted to share a good deal. I stopped buying paint at Sherwin Williams for a while because the price had gone up so much. I've been buying Kilz Pro X at HD. My painter says it's almost as good as SW 200. Recently, I went to Sherwin Williams to buy some 200 and the guy asked why I hadn't bought much paint lately. When I told him that I was buying Kilz at HD, he said I used "both trigger words" - Kilz and Home Depot. He said Sherwin Williams does not want anyone buying paint there and he cut me a WAY better price. It's now cheaper than Kilz. He told me not to tell anyone the price I'm getting. (He didn't tell me not to tell anyone the two trigger words).

    If you have a Sherwin Williams account, you might be frustrated like I am about how secretive their pricing is. I will give a recent example - I needed one gallon of 200 eggshell for a bathroom in my own home. When they rang it up without my account, it was over $41. When my account was added, it came down to less than half that amount. Their entire pricing system is very frustrating to me, but if you play it right, you can get a better deal.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    $8 off per box of Harmonics laminate flooring at Costco. Unlimited quantity. Sale goes through 2/23 or 2/24.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    This is a great thread. I used to focus on small dollar deals but kids, work, and my RE investments combined has made this a lot harder. I now focus on the big tickets like cars, vacation, insurance, etc. My last great deal was a wood fence for the entire backyard of my house. I found a factory/mill with no distribution in my area so they shipped me direct. I think I saved about 2 grand this way.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rob K.:
    If you have a Sherwin Williams account, you might be frustrated like I am about how secretive their pricing is. I will give a recent example - I needed one gallon of 200 eggshell for a bathroom in my own home. When they rang it up without my account, it was over $41. When my account was added, it came down to less than half that amount. Their entire pricing system is very frustrating to me, but if you play it right, you can get a better deal.

    Good tip...

    SW lost my loyalty last week. I've been buying a lot paint from them loyally for about 7 years, and just moved to another state. Went to SW with my neighbor/friend to buy a couple gallons for some work he's doing on his house. The 200 came up at $52 per gallon!!!

    I asked to use my account, but they couldn't bring up my out-of-state account. And the best they'd do was give us 10% off. Nearly $100 for two gallons of paint. We didn't ask the price before they mixed, so we were pretty much obligated to buy...but I'll be using HD for the foreseeable future...

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Ryan B.:
    Menards has awesome sales with their rebate program. I can't tell you how many times I would pick up 6 packs of rollers, paint brushes, hand tools, etc that were free after mail in rebate. Even though the rebate is in the form of store credit, I always use it up because they kick the crap out of Lowe's prices.

    Menards often has great rebates (store credit) on roofing shingles -- up to $5 per bundle. While I don't normally like buying roofing materials myself, my roofer is happy to give me the list of stuff we need, and I can just fax it to Menards, they'll pull it and have it delivered, and then I receive a rebate check in the mail a couple weeks later.

    Given that their roofing prices are pretty competitive with the cheapest suppliers in the area, the $200-400 in rebates make this the lowest priced materials solution I've found.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I would either call your area rep in Atlanta and have him call the rep in Maryland, or vice versa. Either way, I would think that they would want to keep your business. I've found that most of the workers their know how to mix paint, but have no clue about the pricing.

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    12y

    I used SW for many years, even going back to their wallpaper lines, got sick of all the pricing and line changes so dumped them. I have been very impressed with the Pro X line from HD.

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    If any of you enjoy kayaking, Menards has a 10'4" Viper kayak on sale with paddle for $169 until Sunday. This is a great deal. They had them on sale last year for $149 and I bought one. It's awesome. I picked up two more today.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    i make too much to bother with rebates. biggest reason is the crap junk mail that you essentially sign up for. they are "buying" your address for that price and then they sell your address to companies.

    i have worked hard for the past 4 yrs to pretty much eradicate junk mail.

    i throw away all coupons i get at the counter IMMEDIATELY when they hand them to me. the last thing i want to do is bother with 50 cents or $1 off. i have better things to do.

    i do not sign up for credit cards or want to keep track of gas cards, additional payments, etc, etc.. this reminds me of waiting at the gas station to save 5 cents per gallon.

    i do however tell SW that their prices are higher and they give me discounts or match HD prices.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.