Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Getting rid of ants without harsh chemicals

Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
#2 Questions About BiggerPockets & Official Site Announcements Contributor
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Posted Apr 6 2010, 04:49

Hey guys -
I've got a small ant problem and want to get rid of them without all the chemicals, sprays, etc. Does anyone have any effective techniques that work to get rid of them?

User Stats

Votes
Sam Barrett
  • Bernalillo, NM
Votes |
  • Bernalillo, NM
Replied Apr 13 2018, 10:23

My Mom would leave a jar of honey out in the kitchen, the ants would come to collect and get stuck in the honey. Its worked well but didn't eradicate them. 

User Stats

Votes
Donald Howaniec
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Elwood, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Elwood, IL
Replied Apr 14 2018, 12:15

Have you tried an anteater?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Shelton
  • Debary, FL
Votes |
  • Debary, FL
Replied Apr 21 2018, 21:42

I live in Florida and ants are an utter b####. I have to share this story. I had a property with a cheesy old 1' retention wall made from decaying decades-old wood. I removed it and installed a block one, but it took me a few weeks to take the old ant-infested wood I put in my truck bed to the dump. I eventually noticed that I would occasionally see these odd-looking black ants with long legs on my dashboard or in soda cups when I forgot to throw them out. 

I eventually figured out that those ants in that wood somehow colonized my truck! I tried a few tricks like plates of boric-acid laced jelly to kill them with no luck.  I then bought a new rental property where my truck actually fit in the garage (it's just a humble Dakota) and I used bug bombs on the truck twice. That ended my ant infesting for good.

Moral: these hippy-approved "chemical free" solutions to ant problems are BS for 2 reasons: 1) EVERYTHING is a chemical. Water is a chemical. 2) Ants are evil. The baits I put in my truck of plates of sugary food with boric acid (all chemicals BTW) just didn't work because this low-tech Borg collective was evil and refused to die until I hit it with Admiral Janeway-quality chemicals.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 21 2018, 23:28

Over the years, we’ve tried just about everything including shoving sprees into a bottle of Pepsi and turning the 2-Liter upside down into the ant hill.

What we found most effective is diatomaceous earth. It’s all natural and works just like boron but will not kill small children or pets. Mix it with sugar and let the ants take it back to their colonies.