Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Holbrook
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
How to sell used cabinets

Daniel Holbrook
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Posted

We are remodeling a kitchen and decided to buy new cabinetry (different configuration).  Contractors have said the 1980's cabinets are solidly built and we should be able to resale them.  Wyoming Craigslist is very sparse in the cabinet sales.  Any suggestions for finding buyers for used cabinets?  We are about 40 miles from Fort Collins, Loveland area so it may be feasible to transport them.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied

I doubt you will be able to get much. I would probably donate them to Habitat for Humanity and get a tax writeoff.

User Stats

Votes
Janet Voss
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Oakland, CA
Replied

@Daniel Holbrook, is there anything like a Habitat for Humanity Restore in the area?  Here in the SF Bay Area, we have several of those stores, which buy used cabinets in good shape.  We also have Urban Ore and Omega Salvage and Caldwell Builders, who all buy and sell architechtural salvage items.

I just looked it up and there does appear to be a Habitat Restore in Cheyenne.

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Cheryl Packham
Pro Member
  • Surprise, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Surprise, AZ
Replied

Post them on the Facebook garage sale sites.  There are plenty of people who would by them if the price is right.  

User Stats

Votes
Colleen F.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Narragansett, RI
Replied

Habitat Restore only takes donations but it is very effective around here at getting cabinets recycled. You can post them on craigslist and you may get takers. It is most effective to post pictures and dimensions and if they will sell they don't last long here.  I have to admit that I have even seen nice displays sit for a while before selling.   It is all about whether they can be reconfigured to fit the space and the look. Outdated ones don't seem to sell.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Vogt
  • Investor
  • LaGrange GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • LaGrange GA
Replied

If you're able to transport them down to Denver, I'm sure a post on Craigslist would get you some interested parties. I would just take a non-refundable deposit to cover your expenses/time in the event that you drive to Denver and they blow you off... I'd bet on $500 or so for a decent set, that seems to be the going rate.

User Stats

Votes
Jesse B.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Cheyenne, WY
Replied

try the cheyenne area online garage sale facebook page or the FE Warren AFB Virtual yard sale Facebook page.  I occasionally see people selling cabinets there.  

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Bermudez
  • Shreveport, LA
Votes |
  • Shreveport, LA
Replied

Do you have pictures?

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied

save em for a future job

User Stats

Votes
Jerry W.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Thermopolis, WY
ModeratorReplied

You might get the list of folks in your local REI club and email a picture to them. I bought a set of nice old oak cabinets awhile back and put them in a rental I was working on.

User Stats

Votes
Jim Lindstrom
  • Cheyenne, WY
Votes |
  • Cheyenne, WY
Replied

There is a Cheyenne Habitat for Humanity ReStore (http://www.cheyennehabitat.org/ReStore.html) if you want to donate and possible tax write off as suggested. They say they will also do pick up. 

If selling, and if the boxes are solid but the doors are old, you try playing that up and suggest new doors. Just a thought. 

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Holbrook
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Great thoughts.  Thank you all!

I'll probably try selling them for a couple weeks and then donate if nobody wants them.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Sperr
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied

@Daniel Holbrook Post on craigslist in Ft Collins, Loveland and even Greeley. I sold some crappy cabinets to a guy who drove 3 hours each way to pick them up. He was putting them in a hunting lodge in Kansas. You might be surprised, could be exactly what some one is looking for and some people put zero value on their time.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
Baselane is the Ultimate All-In-One Banking Platform for REI Built with integrated rent collection & bookkeeping to save time so you can grow your RE business.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Holbrook
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Some people asked for pictures of the cabinets, so here they are.  Message me if you or someone you know are interested.  There are a ton, and they are modular, so you can configure them in many different ways.

They are unscratched and uncracked.  The doors and drawers all work.  The varnish was redone recently.  The wood is very thick, probably 50% thicker than stock cabinets.  The railing on the top is lame, imo, but it can be removed.

There are a total of 356" of lower cabinets and  307" of upper cabinets.

I'll throw this on Craigslist and then to Habitat if no takers.  Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tina Reid
  • Home Stager
  • Regina, Saskatchewan
Votes |
  • Home Stager
  • Regina, Saskatchewan
Replied

May be you can find some ways to repurpose old cabinets. I have read a lot of blogs about repurposing old furniture.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Holbrook
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied

Thank you all for your advice!

I posted on CL Wyoming and Fort Collins and had immediate interest at $500 OBO.  I sold them for $700 to the first person who came.  Probably could have gone higher, but still happy with this price.

The buyer can use it for two projects, so the number of cabinets helped push the price.

User Stats

Votes
Jean Pierre
  • Hollywood, FL
Votes |
  • Hollywood, FL
Replied

Try craigslist for a week if that doesn't work donate them to the habitat for humanity and take the write off