Best business structure to allow for flexible fund raising?

Best business structure to allow for flexible fund raising?

Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone,

I want to pick the minds of experienced flippers on this topic. I've been doing rehabs in my area for three years now and I've gained enough traction and experience where family, friends, and even local agents want to know if they can partner with me financially on some of my flips. 

I personally would love to take on more projects that I currently just don't have the funds to do. But I want to be financially responsible with other people's money as well as legally protect myself. So the question is, what is the best business structure that will allow for quick, flexible fund raising on a project to project basis while providing proper legal protection for all parties involved?

I've been told differing advice in the past. Some have suggested establishing a Limited Partnership and making myself GP while everyone else is an LP. Others have suggested setting up an S-corp and selling shares for each project. What's the right answer? Which one is the easiest and cheapest to maintain when it come to tax season?

Thanks for the advice as always!

0Reply
16 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y

    I would recommend consulting a good securities attorney... Without a lot more detail, we won't be able to help...

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    David Jiang I think you have asked this question a while back. I am trying to explore an avenue where partners will have master agreements, then location agreements every project. The easiest way would be just to borrow money at a premium rate, say I'll borrow money for xx% after I sell it, in 6 months or less. IE you will make 100k and you want 50/50 split on a 1M project, then the structure would be you'll borrow 700k then give back 750k in less than 6 months, or something like 7.14% in 6 months. You will have to give title to your lender.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.