Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Karen C.
  • South Bend, IN
Votes |
Removing Glued Carpet from Wood Stairs

Karen C.
  • South Bend, IN
Posted

Just looking for some tips on the best way to remove glued down carpet from wood stairs. I know the stairs are wood because the carpet from the landing and two steps below it has been removed by someone other than me.

Should all the carpet come off the stair and the adhesive be left? The adhesive is on the edge of the stair nosing and the bottom of each stair. It seems pretty secure, not sure how I would pull it off. I know other tools are needed, like a cutting blade, hammer, pry bar or flat head screwdriver for removing tack strips.

I know to use adhesive remover but do I use that on the carpet or try to get the carpet separated from the adhesive then use it on left over adhesive? Since the carpet is so tightly glued down I was thinking some remover would need to go on the carpet.

Please help!

User Stats

Votes
JD Martin
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rock Star Extraordinaire
  • Northeast, TN
ModeratorReplied

Pull all the carpet and use adhesive remover on what's left. No remover on the carpet itself, that will just make a mess and waste product. The runner is probably stapled/brad nailed to the wood steps just under the rounded lip of the tread and at the bottom of each riser, if there's no padding underneath. If it's padded, there will be tack strips nailed to the steps that hold the carpet in place. 

User Stats

Votes
Karen C.
  • South Bend, IN
Votes |
  • South Bend, IN
Replied

Thank you, now I need to find a way to pull up that carpet. It's really stuck on there!

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied

If you have wood stairs that you are looking to refinish, then at some point there will be a sanding process to get to bare wood. If you are carpeting over wood stairs, then it's common to staple carpet on stairs and the carpet will cover over a lot of irregularity - so you might not have to go crazy removing adhesive.