Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Bosworth
  • Flower Mound, TX
Votes |
Best source for kitchen cabinets?

Mark Bosworth
  • Flower Mound, TX
Posted Nov 1 2014, 07:59

Hi All,

I have a potential flip that needs a new kitchen.  Who do you use for inexpensive kitchen cabinets?  Big box store?  In the past I had an awesome custom cabinet guy but I've moved to a new area and don't have one yet.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 06:09

@John Hickey that kitchen looks great. Are these cabinets in stock? Also are they assembled? That is quite the rental kitchen!!

I am doing some research into my next kitchen/cabinets and plan on a white shaker. I have used RTA in the past, but like to keep options open.

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 07:29

this is prior to Reno.  The apt had HVAC and hardwood floors the bathroom was a bit dated but maybe 10 years old.  When I did the Reno I moved the kitchen and that are became a bedroom below.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 12:36

@John Hickey I would take a look at any SFH leads you have. My kids are in school next week and I will be full throttle into finding something ASAP.

That kitchen is definitely nice looking, and $5500 rental is impressive!

I have never entertained Ikea kitchens, but if I can get that look for that price, I will have to try it out. Their website is very difficult to determine what I would be buying however.

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 15:13

Brian Pulaski take a look at 87 Fullerton. Easy conversion to single family....not even big enough for a 2 family. It'll go quick.

User Stats

Votes
Steve B.
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Replied Sep 2 2017, 15:30

Chinese knock down over IKEA or HD for sure

I just bought a 10 foot run in white shaker for 1k installed and added a granite counter for another 1k. That's without uppers

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 15:36

Steve B. Got pics?

User Stats

Votes
Steve B.
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Replied Sep 2 2017, 15:46

@John Hickey

This would likely be suitable for 250k-550k trim level

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 15:48

Brian Pulaski I go into the store I never use the site. I don't use their program to layout the kitchen. Main reason I use them is I go the day we frame the kitchen and put up the Sheetrock. I draw the kitchen out myself on graph paper with a catalog right next to me with the box sizes. I always use grimslov doors.

We put one coat of tape while I'm at Ikea, it take about 3-6 hours to drive there pick up the boxes and get back. I also grab the closets and bathroom vanities while I wait. Plus any mirrors or other stuff I'll do from the store.

BTW the mods removed a post of mine not sure why, it was the one where I mentioned my strategy and that I was getting 5500 for that apt.

I also mentioned that I know of off mkt stuff in Newburgh. I don't own it or rep the owner. I'm doing no wholesaling. There is an agent that has the info I've given that to list of the BP newburgh crew that went to the last meeting. If you want the agents contact info email me. She's great.

Mods are getting heavy handed lately. Makes me want to close my acct.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 16:35

@John Hickey their website was very confusing. Good to hear the store is easier to navigate.

I have done the RTA stuff before, but I always like to keep options open, especially something in stock!

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 17:28

Steve B. Looks good.

I'm going to stick with Ikea. I've down 10 of them in a row and it works.

For that 2200 I got 10.5 feet of lower drawers with full extension drawers. I'm pretty sure yours are he run of the mill face frame type cabinets. With out the open drawer shot it's hard to tell. But do you think your drawers look like the ones I posted?

I like that Euro no face frame look. The drawers on the Ikea will be about 3" bigger for every cabinet.

I also got the hidden inserts a pantry 2 24" uppers 2 fridge/uppers and the fridge cover panels. Those 8' panels are pricey. I don't see any I. Your pics. Did you get them? That adds a lot to my kitchen costs but I like them.

If I went without the hidden drawers and cover panels my kitchen would have been about the same as yours.

I like the look I have a bit better but that's all personal taste.

User Stats

Votes
Steve B.
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Votes |
  • Engineer
  • Portland, OR
Replied Sep 2 2017, 17:43

I have soft close but the uppers are fir built-ins.  Possibly original.

The knock downs are definitely more generic than the IKEA style cabinets,  but that's preferable in my 1925 bungalow with semi-period authentic craftsman pieces and built ins.  If I had a 50-70's house then the IKEA modern Scandinavian look would be a more appropriate fit

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 2 2017, 18:25

@Steve B.I hear ya.  It's a system thing for me.  Once I find something that looks good, works and the price is right...I won't change till it's out of style.  That house above the rental...I sold it for a bit for than 750k.  The buyers told me the dug the kitchens.  It sold for 200k over asking.  Not sure the kitchens did it but it don't hurt.  

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Sep 3 2017, 04:49

@John Hickey when you buy your Ikea cabinets do they come fully assembled and ready to go? Also do they have all of the standard 3" size increments? I think people like the European style doors and drawers, or at least it would appeal to them when they view the house.

I wish their website was more user friendly. With the RTA stuff you can get exact costs in the matter of a few minutes.

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 4 2017, 08:02

Brian Pulaski yes on the 3" increments to some degree. I usually have a catalog but I can't find it.

I purchase them in the flat boxes. Putting together with drawers is about 30/45 minutes per box once your set up right. I do it on a 10' plywood table with soft fabric wrapped around so I don't scratch anything. Need 2-3 tools. Razor to open the boxes, soft hammer, two screw drivers. I put them together with my 5 year old. It's easy. When I don't have time or it's to many I pay a guy 15$ and hour. I Don't use a carpenter they will complain too much.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Sep 4 2017, 08:10

Facebook market place

Easy in my area to find almost new actual wood cabinets for less than half the price of cheap IKEA and Home Depot cabinets

They are from newly built houses a few months old the new owner wanted different color or style. 

They have already been removed and are ready to be installed.  No having to build them

User Stats

Votes
Phyllis E.
  • Dunkirk, MD
Votes |
  • Dunkirk, MD
Replied Sep 9 2017, 20:18

J & K  is a good brand of Chinese knockdown cabinets with lots of distributors in the US and nice styles,including a very nice quality white shaker. A local distributor in my area sells them for just a little bit more than the cost of ikea, but they are better quality. They HAVE to have plywood sides, instead of particle board, BECAUSE they are knockdown! 

NEWS FLASH--for all you investors (typically the male variety) who are obviously NOT up with the current trends in kitchens: Espresso and other dark wood cabinets are NOT on trend. No one is "pinning" those kind of kitchens anymore--they went out with the Tuscan brown look about a decade ago. Take a look at any kitchen or interior design magazine or the designer kitchens on HOUZZ.com  if you don't believe me!!! Why do we still see so many remodeled kitchens with dark wood cabinets, then, you ask?? Because most builders are MEN who don't follow design trends much!!!  What women now really  want light, bright kitchens with on-trend painted wood cabinets!  I want to cry every time I see a flipped home that has been recently remodeled with dark wood cabinets and the "Tuscan Look" (by a clueless male, no doubt.) Here is a link to what I am talking about on HOUZZ (the biggest, most popular source for professionally designed interior photos on the web). I just typed "most saved kitchens " in the search bar and this is what came up: (people can "save" photos they like in their own personal "idea" books: Some of the most popular kitchens on HOUZZ

User Stats

Votes
Phyllis E.
  • Dunkirk, MD
Votes |
  • Dunkirk, MD
Replied Sep 9 2017, 20:25

I just had to add a direct link to this one (it shows up on page 3 or 4 of the link above), because I noticed that the comments mentioned that it is the MOST SAVED kitchen on HOUZZ, with over 800,000 people saving it to their personal "idea books!" It also happens to be one of my all-time favorites. Ok men, this is how to make your kitchens look high-end:

THE most popular kitchen on HOUZZ

User Stats

Votes
Phyllis E.
  • Dunkirk, MD
Votes |
  • Dunkirk, MD
Replied Sep 9 2017, 20:39

@John Hickey--I like your white kitchen! Now that is what I'm talking about!! That is what woman like (and white kitchens always look better in the online photos!)  I didn't see your kitchen before I posted my comments above (somehow missed this whole third page, and the fact that the original post is over 2 years old, ha, ha!) I like the gold hardware, too!

User Stats

Votes
Brian Pulaski
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Montgomery, NY
Replied Sep 10 2017, 05:51

@Phyllis E. I agree with you regarding white Kitchens, I prefer them over dark. With that said I have done both and sold both with no complaints... and there were women involved in the sales of houses with dark and light cabinets.

However you spend most of the posts I see here explaining how MEN and male investors don't know how to design, etc... being that this site is largely made up of investors and quite a few being male, I'm not sure why you go about your posts in the way you do. 

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 10 2017, 09:18

Michael Plante that sounds like a good deal. If your taking a kitchen out of another's house you can copy that layout or look for similar layouts and make it work.

I don't look to make things work. I want to knock it out of the park.

For me I'm looking for the best tenant I can get in the market. One of the ways I do that is to have the best rental kitchen on the market.

I typically buy houses and move the kitchen to a new spot. I lay it out according to the best use of the space, them I lay out the kitchen. I need them to fit in the space that I've laid out. I have no tolerance for mismatched cabinets or odd spaces. Since I know it's next to impossible to pull a kitchen out of someone's house and have it fit the best layout I can make of another house I'd pass on it.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Sep 10 2017, 12:03
Originally posted by @John Hickey:

Michael Plante that sounds like a good deal. If your taking a kitchen out of another's house you can copy that layout or look for similar layouts and make it work.

I don't look to make things work. I want to knock it out of the park.

For me I'm looking for the best tenant I can get in the market. One of the ways I do that is to have the best rental kitchen on the market.

I typically buy houses and move the kitchen to a new spot. I lay it out according to the best use of the space, them I lay out the kitchen. I need them to fit in the space that I've laid out. I have no tolerance for mismatched cabinets or odd spaces. Since I know it's next to impossible to pull a kitchen out of someone's house and have it fit the best layout I can make of another house I'd pass on it.

Thank you for letting us know what you do

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 10 2017, 16:36

Michael Plante glad you appreciate it.

What do you do?

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Sep 10 2017, 17:06

Michael Plante glad you appreciate it.

What do you do?

Thank you for asking.

Don't want to clog just read my info should be in my profile thank you

User Stats

Votes
John Hickey
  • Chappaqua, NY
Votes |
  • Chappaqua, NY
Replied Sep 10 2017, 18:50

@Phyllis E.thanks for the compliment. The style happens to be my wife's work.  Below is my own Ikea kitchen.  I did it in my place bc we got used to doing them in all the Apt's.  Started about 5 years ago and they are holding up awesome. I wouldn't say all women have great taste tho.  I've seen some stuff from female flippers out there that can't make it in any houzzz lists.  

Its a lot of work to keep trying to reinvent the wheel every time once I find something that works I do it till it's dead.  I'm sure some of the guys doing those espresso kitchens feel the same way, they're still selling so why change.   Plus there's still folks out there that like it. Probably not the top of the market but still selling. 

Personally  I love when the competition trips up.  Make me look like a superstar.  When I was in flips I was getting accepted offers in two weeks highest and best bidding. Guys with half@$$ kitchens were lingering for months and dropping the price like a rock.  

Now that I'm focusing on rentals all I care about is getting the best tenant for the top dollar....I don't want to hassle with bs Tenants. What I found is the best tenants in my market are picky.  They  like the stuff below, so that's what I give them. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Plante
  • Deland, FL
Votes |
  • Deland, FL
Replied Sep 10 2017, 19:29

@Phyllis E.thanks for the compliment. The style happens to be my wife's work.  Below is my own Ikea kitchen.  I did it in my place bc we got used to doing them in all the Apt's.  Started about 5 years ago and they are holding up awesome. I wouldn't say all women have great taste tho.  I've seen some stuff from female flippers out there that can't make it in any houzzz lists.  

Its a lot of work to keep trying to reinvent the wheel every time once I find something that works I do it till it's dead.  I'm sure some of the guys doing those espresso kitchens feel the same way, they're still selling so why change.   Plus there's still folks out there that like it. Probably not the top of the market but still selling. 

Personally  I love when the competition trips up.  Make me look like a superstar.  When I was in flips I was getting accepted offers in two weeks highest and best bidding. Guys with half@$$ kitchens were lingering for months and dropping the price like a rock.  

Now that I'm focusing on rentals all I care about is getting the best tenant for the top dollar....I don't want to hassle with bs Tenants. What I found is the best tenants in my market are picky.  They  like the stuff below, so that's what I give them. 

Just imagine if you had FB back when you were doing flips.  It really is amazing.  

Post the property and literally within hours you have 20+ messages wanting the porperty.   No agent fee it is amazing what social media can do

And with rentals lol forget it.  Post the porperty and tell everyone you will be at the property at 2 PM next Saturday.   Bring cash for first/last and security.  whoever offers the most/month gets it pending background check.   Last one we had 32 people show up.  :) 

LOVING modern technology. 

In our area the white cabinets are a bit played out.  People here seem to be going the way of grey now

Maybe hasn't hit your area just yet