Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jaekwan Lee
Pro Member
Votes |
Anyone experienced sagging floor fix?

Jaekwan Lee
Pro Member
Posted Jul 21 2024, 21:03

Hi, I just got into a fourplex property and found living room has a sagging floor. I am not confident how much it would cost and wonder if it is wise to pass this property to fix if I am not familiar with this issue. What do you think?

User Stats

Votes
Steve K.
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied Jul 21 2024, 21:49

I have a triplex built in 1910 that came with saggy floors. I jacked it up with a bottle jack, sistered up the old 2x6 floor joists with new 2x8's and problem solved for a few hundred bucks. It could be an easy fix like this or a bigger problem depending on the factors at play (are the joists accessible, will it mess anything else up if you just jack it up and reinforce, is there water damage or structural damage to the foundation causing the sag instead of just old joists, anything else going on like a supporting wall or posts under the floor, wiring or plumbing runs involved etc.). If you don't know what you're looking at, have a competent contractor or even better a competent structural engineer take a look at it for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Wesley I.
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jul 21 2024, 23:10

@Jaekwan Lee

You wont really know until you open the floors up.

It could be as simple as bottle jacking a support or as involved as replacing multiple rotted beams and subfloor.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jaekwan Lee
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 22 2024, 09:39
Quote from @Steve K.:

I have a triplex built in 1910 that came with saggy floors. I jacked it up with a bottle jack, sistered up the old 2x6 floor joists with new 2x8's and problem solved for a few hundred bucks. It could be an easy fix like this or a bigger problem depending on the factors at play (are the joists accessible, will it mess anything else up if you just jack it up and reinforce, is there water damage or structural damage to the foundation causing the sag instead of just old joists, anything else going on like a supporting wall or posts under the floor, wiring or plumbing runs involved etc.). If you don't know what you're looking at, have a competent contractor or even better a competent structural engineer take a look at it for you. 

This is what I was guessing. I think the listing price isn't competitive enough to put the risk factor that might cost big or small. I guess I should pass this. Thanks!