Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Dan Creed
Votes |
Full Gut Remodel Costs

Dan Creed
Posted Jul 12 2024, 16:55

Recently acquired a single family property through a death in the family. 2000sqft property needs a full gut and plans to turn into a 2 family. No debt on the property. Estimates are bout 400k for full gut remodel (hvac, plumbing, electrical, roof, mostly new windows, kitchens, and baths, minor re-framing) New plan is for (2) 2B1B units and will rent for 2k and 2500/mo. 1 unit is a larger 2 bedroom. Any feedback on these numbers? Initial thoughts was this is expensive but I have multiple GCs in the 400k range. 

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Paul#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Votes |
Matthew Paul#2 Rehabbing & House Flipping Contributor
  • Severna Park, MD
Replied Jul 12 2024, 17:00

That price may not be that far off . You need 2 hvac systems , 2 electric meters , you should split the units and submeter the water .   

Dont know the pricing in Mass but you may want to see how much it would be to do a tear down and go new 

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jul 12 2024, 21:44
Quote from @Dan Creed:

Recently acquired a single family property through a death in the family. 2000sqft property needs a full gut and plans to turn into a 2 family. No debt on the property. Estimates are bout 400k for full gut remodel (hvac, plumbing, electrical, roof, mostly new windows, kitchens, and baths, minor re-framing) New plan is for (2) 2B1B units and will rent for 2k and 2500/mo. 1 unit is a larger 2 bedroom. Any feedback on these numbers? Initial thoughts was this is expensive but I have multiple GCs in the 400k range. 

It is close, but all areas are different.. I would get a couple more quotes, see how those quotes are broken down.. Got a buddy out there that is a solid realtor, and I could connect you to get a better gauge if you need it. 

NMB logo
NMB
|
Sponsored
Point. Click. Approved. Investor Focused Lender. 5-10 Units + JUMBO LOANS. 13K 4.85 STAR REVIEWS. Save $550 with a limited time lender credit offer!

User Stats

Votes
Josh C.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 13 2024, 08:15

I feel we could do that for around 300k, but that’s Indianapolis. Unsure your market.

Thats ground up new construction prices just about.