Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Yu Liu
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Votes |
Doing my first flip, where do you all source your material?

Yu Liu
  • Investor
  • Tallahassee
Posted Jul 1 2024, 23:01

Curious where everyone sources their material for flips/brrrs? 

I've mainly looked at Home Depot/Lowes for flooring and larger items and got hardware like knobs, faucets from amazon/wayfair but curious to hear where you all get your materials from

Also, need to get a double vanity for master bathroom, any recommendations?

User Stats

Votes
Tyler Spalding
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wasilla, AK
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Wasilla, AK
Replied Jul 2 2024, 03:53

facebook marketplace is always worth a scan. Depending on how much material or items you need there's always people selling excess material and items they ended up not using or needing, typically at a discount.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 2 2024, 07:16

Hi Yu! Congrats on your getting your first flip! Look into signing up for a Sherwin Williams PRO account - you get discounts on paint, supplies and free delivery. If you are looking for standard finishes/cabinets - amazon/wayfair/HD/lowes has plenty of choices. I wouldn't overwhelm yourself with options. You also don't want to over-improve but if you're keeping it as a rental you don't want to have to replace them within the first few years either. 

If you got a HML to finance this one - I'd recommend keeping all of your receipts from the beginning so you don't have to go hunting for them, and risk them crinkled up in the back of your car when the time for your draw comes.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jul 2 2024, 08:16

home depot and lowes is a great way to start . amazon is awesome from small to large items and sometimes have sales . some of the contractors you work with will also be able to source materials from their established relationships of suppliers . Over the years the rolodex will grow 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 6 2024, 09:53

Places I've seen used:

- Big box stores: Home Depot and Lowe's are indeed popular choices for flooring and larger items. They often offer competitive pricing and have a wide selection.

- Online retailers: Amazon and Wayfair are good for smaller items like hardware, as you've mentioned. They can offer competitive prices and a wide variety of styles.

- Local suppliers: Many investors find great deals at local flooring and building supply stores. These can sometimes offer better prices than big box retailers, especially for bulk purchases.

- Wholesale distributors: If you're doing multiple projects, consider establishing relationships with wholesale distributors for better pricing on bulk orders.

- Closeout and overstock stores: Places like Floor & Decor or local overstock outlets can have great deals on flooring and other materials.

When choosing between Home Depot and Lowe's, keep in mind that both offer price matching, with Home Depot often providing an additional 10% off. However, installation costs and procedures may vary, so it's worth getting quotes from both if you're not doing the work yourself.

As a hard money lender specializing in fix and flip deals, I've seen successful investors use a mix of these sources to optimize their budgets while maintaining quality. Remember, the key is to balance cost with quality and durability to ensure your renovations stand up to buyer scrutiny and add value to the property.

Let me know if you're ever looking to get a quote on your next fix and flip deal! I might be able to help 

User Stats

Votes
    Pete Humpton
    • New to Real Estate
    • Delaware
    Votes |
    • New to Real Estate
    • Delaware
    Replied Jul 13 2024, 12:04
    Depending on the level of flip you're doing for, RTA cabinets are great quick, cheap options for kitchen and bath cabinets.

I always talk with contractors and add any sources to my phone. Many know local dealers and I'd much rather buy from them whenever possible.