Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Sukhman Sahota
Votes |
Seeking Guidance for First Investment Property Rehab

Sukhman Sahota
Posted Jun 11 2024, 10:43

I’m excited to share that I am about to go under contract on my first investment property! This is a significant milestone for me as a beginner investor, and I am eager to dive into the world of real estate investing. The property I’m purchasing needs some rehab work, and I’m reaching out to this community for guidance and support.

I understand the importance of having a reliable and experienced team. I am looking to connect with seasoned investors who can offer advice and possibly recommend trustworthy contractors and inspectors. If you have any recommendations or are willing to share your experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

As I prepare for the inspection period, I want to ensure I cover all bases and make informed decisions. I believe that learning from experienced investors in this group can significantly impact the success of my first investment property. If anyone is willing to mentor or provide guidance, it would be incredibly helpful. Additionally, any resources, articles, or tools that you recommend for a beginner like me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your support and advice. I am looking forward to learning from this community and sharing my journey with you all.

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
  • Lender
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver
Replied Jun 11 2024, 13:54

You've come to the right place to gain general knowledge. However, you are going to want to attend as many local meet ups in your market as possible. This is where you will connect with contractors, agents, and other investors that are willing to share what works for them in your market.

I would recommend hiring a very experienced and legit General Contractor to lean on for your 1st project. They are going to be able to navigate unexpected issues and guide you through the project. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 12 2024, 06:53

The facebook communities are great for finding people experienced in your local market . in the search bar would just search the words real estate and your city/state 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Steven Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jun 12 2024, 11:29

Good luck with your first rehab. Try, your local real estate meetups. We have met many great teammates at real estate meetups. 

Ensure that all contractors base their bids on the same scope of work. Otherwise, you will be comparing apples to oranges. 

If you get references from your contractors make sure they are current references and not stale. 

Don't make your scope of work fit your budget. If the deal does not work walk away.  

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jun 12 2024, 16:51
Quote from @Sukhman Sahota:

I’m excited to share that I am about to go under contract on my first investment property! This is a significant milestone for me as a beginner investor, and I am eager to dive into the world of real estate investing. The property I’m purchasing needs some rehab work, and I’m reaching out to this community for guidance and support.

I understand the importance of having a reliable and experienced team. I am looking to connect with seasoned investors who can offer advice and possibly recommend trustworthy contractors and inspectors. If you have any recommendations or are willing to share your experiences, I would greatly appreciate it.

As I prepare for the inspection period, I want to ensure I cover all bases and make informed decisions. I believe that learning from experienced investors in this group can significantly impact the success of my first investment property. If anyone is willing to mentor or provide guidance, it would be incredibly helpful. Additionally, any resources, articles, or tools that you recommend for a beginner like me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your support and advice. I am looking forward to learning from this community and sharing my journey with you all.

Have that agent you are working with supply the inspector and/or the contractor too. Get the contractors to bid the job before closing and also make sure if they are recommended by someone else you go see their job sites and their progress on projects that they are doing! Also, make sure that they are bonded (you can go after their bond if they don't finish the project), licensed and insured. 

The McKernan Group Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2024, 16:56

Facebook groups will help a lot  in your area and try to meet up with a  connection you build.. dinner etc on you and he  or she can give awesome advice which will save time money efforts

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2024, 16:58

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sacgrouprealeste/

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2024, 16:58

https://www.facebook.com/groups/872612789505643/

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 12 2024, 16:59

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sacramentorealestateinvestor...