Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Garcia
Pro Member
Votes |
Have not been able to sell my 2 flips?

Carlos Garcia
Pro Member
Posted

So I started these last 2 flips and finished the renovations within 45 days. We put both houses in the MLS and have had to reduce the price by more than 14% and still no offers. I am getting a little scared as my wife is an experienced realtor and is experiencing the same across all her listings in central FL. Our business real estate coach has also shared that the entire US is like that in almost all the markets.

This is the first time this has happened to me.

What are the recommendations?

1. continue to sell

2. DSCR loan

3. other?

Both houses were financed via Hard Money at 11.99%.

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Brown
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Blue Springs
Replied

What's the numbers at? List price, what you have into it, appraised value, potential rent? This will help. FL(what I have seen) has cooled off so DOM would be higher than before. In my area it's hit or miss but there is still many pockets that are moving fast

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied

Hi Carlos, 

In a best case scenario it would be a cash buyer or conventional loan buyer you would need due to the seasoning period of just purchasing the home. 

FHA financing will require a minimal of a 90 seasoning period before a new buyer can order a case number on the property to close.

What are the price points of these homes you are trying to sell?

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Shawn McCormick
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

@Carlos Garcia can you afford to keep them as rentals? Your tax burdon will be less if you can keep them for 12 months and a day, maybe a rent to own scnerio?

Have you considered offering buyer incentives like buying their rate down? This could be a cheaper option depending on the cost of your money (are you using hard money?). Look at the comps that have recently sold and see if they had to offer concessions. Reverse prospect the area for recent cash sales and reach out to them to see if they are looking for other properties. 

Send me the addresses and I'll look them over. 

Best of luck!

Shawn McCormick Logo

User Stats

Votes
Doug Smith
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

We're seeing stuff sit a bit in Tampa. It's an odd market right now. We're got a couple of really, really nice houses that aren't moving. In the past, I've had success with pulling such properties from the market, renting them for a year to see how the market changes, and then making the decision at the lease termination as to relist or not. DSCR rates are in the 7's right now. It might not hurt to consider playing long-ball with them for now.

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Garcia
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

One is selling for $369k (ARV appraised at $415k)

Hard Money lender balance $254k

My own money $75k

and the other for $519k (ARV appraised at $595k).

Hard Money lender balance $368k

My own money $125k

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied

I have been watching the emerald coast RE for over a year.  Not sure if all of these thoughts are relevant to your market.  

The market has slowed significantly. Insurance and the structural inspection and associated repairs resulting from the fallen seaside condos has resulted in huge HOA cost increases. The condo values have not fallen close to enough to compensate for the increased HOA costs but sellers are reluctant to discount appropriate for the HOA cost increases.

The rising insurance cost coupled with falling condo prices are affecting the non-condo residential RE.  

End result is the market price has fallen but more significant the number of units being sold has stagnated.

The reality is prices need to drop significantly before properties will start selling at a significant rate. This is especially true of condos where the HOA costs have risen so significantly. Note even an additional 20% price reduction would not compensate in costs for the increased HOA costs.

I suspect you are going to have to cut your profit expectations significantly.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Julie Muse
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Georgia
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Georgia
Replied

I had a few listings sitting around too. This helped me...  I actually pulled off the market for 5 days and re listed them again.  On one, I had an offer within 3 days and the other one a week.  I am not quite sure how to explain why but it worked for me several times.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hi Carlos! If you are planning to refi I highly recommend not doing any more price drops. When you go to refinance, the lenders will have to base the value on the lowest listed price..

User Stats

Votes
Lake Lutes
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Replied

Hi Carlos - sorry to hear about your flips. The good news is, real estate is going to be more expensive and WORTH MORE in 5-10 years than it is today. The short term market fluctuates, but long term, holding real estate is very, very rarely a bad play.

As a renovator myself, I always try to hold instead of sell, that is why I prefer the term renovator, not flipper. If your properties have appraised for that much more than your list price, you should be able to use the higher prices for your appraisals, giving you more room in your LTV and cash back for a cash out refi.

You've got options!! Keep pushin

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • San Diego
Replied

At this point, your listings are stale. I would take off the market and explore keeping it a rental or put back on the market with a refreshed listing. 

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

I would rent and DSCR start cash flowing and worry about it a few years down the line

User Stats

Votes
Steven Goldman
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Pennsylvania
Replied
Quote from @Carlos Garcia:

So I started these last 2 flips and finished the renovations within 45 days. We put both houses in the MLS and have had to reduce the price by more than 14% and still no offers. I am getting a little scared as my wife is an experienced realtor and is experiencing the same across all her listings in central FL. Our business real estate coach has also shared that the entire US is like that in almost all the markets.

This is the first time this has happened to me.

What are the recommendations?

1. continue to sell

2. DSCR loan

3. other?

Both houses were financed via Hard Money at 11.99%.

Hi Carlos: If you have enough cash reserve refinancing and renting these properties may be your best option. Can they be converted to STRS? That might be an option. The market projections for South Florida and central Florida are for the market to continue to decline due to the insurance crisis and the rapid appreciation experienced since COVID-19. I would move quickly. Time is not your ally. Good luck.
Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
BiggerPockets prefers Baselane The #1 REI platform that integrates banking, rent collection and bookkeeping to save time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Esmail
  • Investor
  • Orlando, Fl
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, Fl
Replied

Keep dropping price and hopefully you sell before you break even. If your going to loose you can take a loss or re fi into 7-8 percent dscr loan and hold for 5 years or so that is what I am seeing with the prepayment. I am in the same boat I have a flip that I thought would sell for $459k I am now down to $419 and will have to drop until it sells. Its best to get out and use the money for something else that you can do better on. The bad news is were in the summer slow down time now and less buyers then last couple months. There is not much buyers out there buying, on the flip side I have been able to buy 4 properties this month that were really good deals.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Hey Carlos, 

I'm following up on this, were you able to sell the properties off or refinance out?

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Garcia
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied

I sold one of them and the other one refinance

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Awesome, I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem.