Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Ron Hollingsworth
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
The Details Are Killing Me!

Ron Hollingsworth
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Posted Jun 9 2024, 20:12

So I'm now entrenched in my 5 full on rehab and I've noticed that I am running into the same problem on them all.  I am having issues with, I guess remembering is the best way to describe it, all of the details that need to be done in a flip.  For instance, today, walking the project I noticed that we didn't address the washer values.  I remember seeing them capped during my first walk through.  Now we are past the drywall stage heading into shower and tile work and I have to go back and deal with something that I should have dealt with earlier.  

I wish I had some list or workflow (granted one that can be manipulated due to differences in properties) that would include all of these possible items that need to be addressed or a better system in handling all of the different inflection points of a rehab.  Anyone have an out of the box system they are using for project management?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied Jun 9 2024, 20:29

I have a document for putting together scopes of work I could share although it's not quite that detailed. Whenever you miss something you can always add it to the sheet to make sure that never happens again, but there will always be things like that. It's just part of the process

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 10 2024, 09:22

i would get full quotes from every contractor and do a checklist after every stage . every project is different 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Marc Winter
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Northeast PA
Replied Jun 11 2024, 11:05

In the 30+ rehabs I've done, I learned to start with the finished product in mind.  I'd prepare drawings showing dimensions, locate outlets for example electric, water, and gas) drawn in, etc.  Same for windows, doors, relocated walls, and so on.  

BTW, they do not have to be done by an architect at this stage--your rough sketch should suffice.

I made copies of the drawings and highlighted each system.  Example:  if a ceiling light needed to be moved and/or installed, I'd highlight where it should go (with dimensions noted) and give that to the electrician.  

It's best to go over each set of drawings while on-site with each contractor.  Listen to what they suggest, and make sure to keep an open dialogue with them to make sure you are both on that same page.  If it's a long-distance rehab, Facetime it.

Do this often enough and it will limit (not 100% eliminate) the chances of missing something.  That's just the nature of the beast.

Good luck.  Keep investing and moving forward!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick O'Sullivan
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Jun 14 2024, 14:50

This isn't exactly what you are looking for but one tool that we use that helps with ensuring things are done the way we want them, not just that a checkbox gets checked is using video in our walk thrus that can be shared. We use CompanyCam for this, that might be something that will help you catch things that are missing as well as making sure things are done correctly, whether you are there personally or reviewing remotely.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Mckernan
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Irvine, CA
Replied Jun 15 2024, 06:48
Quote from @Ron Hollingsworth:

So I'm now entrenched in my 5 full on rehab and I've noticed that I am running into the same problem on them all.  I am having issues with, I guess remembering is the best way to describe it, all of the details that need to be done in a flip.  For instance, today, walking the project I noticed that we didn't address the washer values.  I remember seeing them capped during my first walk through.  Now we are past the drywall stage heading into shower and tile work and I have to go back and deal with something that I should have dealt with earlier.  

I wish I had some list or workflow (granted one that can be manipulated due to differences in properties) that would include all of these possible items that need to be addressed or a better system in handling all of the different inflection points of a rehab.  Anyone have an out of the box system they are using for project management?

You can do a walk flow, but sounds like you need a quality control person in there making sure there is nothing missed (or a project manager).

The McKernan Group Logo