Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
David Cherkowsky
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
How to Evaluate if Renovations are Worth It

David Cherkowsky
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Posted Jun 8 2024, 10:39

Hi All,

I recently purchased my first investment property and am going through the closing process. The property is a 2/1 that I am considering converting to a 2/2 or 3/2. It is a townhouse and the adjacent property (that previously had an identical interior layout and size) has gone through a renovation to expand the kitchen by approximately 100 sqft, and add a second bathroom.

This adjacent property is currently renting for $300-400 more than what I believe I can rent my property for. It also is worth approximately $140k more than my property is currently worth.

My question: when evaluating renovations, is the math as simple as (Additional rent expected per month due to renovation * 12 months/yr)/total cost of renovation = ROI. Or are there other ways that folks typically evaluate this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

User Stats

Votes
Bill J Fay
  • Lender
  • Denver
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Denver
Replied Jun 9 2024, 21:59

Yes, your math is correct. Adjust for vacancy with you not being able to rent it out during that time as well. One comp is great, but I would look for another to confirm value. 

User Stats

Votes
David Cherkowsky
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Jun 10 2024, 04:46
Quote from @Bill J Fay:

Yes, your math is correct. Adjust for vacancy with you not being able to rent it out during that time as well. One comp is great, but I would look for another to confirm value. 

Thanks Bill!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Corby Goade
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Replied Jun 10 2024, 04:58

I don't have a formula that I use and I'm much less concerned about cash flow than I am equity, although the potential added cash flow in your situation is a really nice bonus. 

If I could add $140K in equity, I'd just want to know how much it would cost me to do those renovations and based on the scope you've described, that should be more than about 8 weeks of work max. Do you have a quote or estimate for the cost of that project?

User Stats

Votes
David Cherkowsky
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied Jun 10 2024, 05:21
Quote from @Corby Goade:

I don't have a formula that I use and I'm much less concerned about cash flow than I am equity, although the potential added cash flow in your situation is a really nice bonus. 

If I could add $140K in equity, I'd just want to know how much it would cost me to do those renovations and based on the scope you've described, that should be more than about 8 weeks of work max. Do you have a quote or estimate for the cost of that project?

@Corby Goade I have contractors coming by throughout the week to provide quotes and I am very curious to hear what they are going to be. But agreed, the equity piece here is the enticing piece to me. Assuming the quotes come back at less than 100k (I currently have a baseless number of 50k in my head), this seems like a no brainer, which is why I want to ensure I'm not missing anything.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Land & New Construction Contributor
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied Jun 10 2024, 09:20

average investor wants to make about 10-15% on the transaction