Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon B.
Pro Member
Votes |
Hold Harmless / Release of Liability Agreements for Rehab Contractors

Jon B.
Pro Member
Posted

Does anyone have a template they require contractors to sign before starting a rehab project on a BRRRR or flip? I only consider licensed contractors but have found that most reasonably-priced contractors are not bonded or insured. As an alternative, I am requesting contractors to sign hold harmless and release of liability agreements.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied

@Jon B.

What state is this?

Every state I have worked in, as part of getting a license they must have proper insurance. If they are hiring 1099 employees that is between them as every contract I have is written they are to have insurance and provide a copy of their insurance certificate

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I am in Oregon, I think we can only use licensed contractors here, unless it is my primary. Have you talked to your insurance company?

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied

This is something id discuss with an attorney . Renovations are high cost items 

User Stats

Votes
John Mocker#1 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • Norwalk, CT
Replied

Jon B.

Working with contractors without Insurance (General Liability and Workers Comp. at the minimum) is asking for problems:

1. The contractors work damages the rest of the structure.  What do you do?  Sue them (good luck, even if you win, will they have any assets to attached).  Have them repair the work.  Maybe.  But if the loss was caused because of their poor workmanship do you want to have them redo it. 

2. The contractor causes injury to someone visiting the property (instpector, delivery person, etc.).  If the contractor has no Insurance you are more likely to be drawn into a suit by the injured party,

3. an employee of one of the contractors is injured on the job site.  With the Contractor having no insurance again you are more likely to be drawn into an lawsuit.

I strongly recommend that you only use Licensed contractors with a good track record and with full insurance.  Have your contracts with those contractors drawn up by a qualified Attorney.  They should stipulate from an Insurance perspective that the Contractor provide you with proof of Insurance that:

1. names you as an additional insured

2. provides 30 day notice of cancellation

3. Is primary and non-contributory

4. waives subrogation against you

You also want an strong Hold Harmless and Indemnification Clause in the contract.