Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Rehabbing & House Flipping
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sullivan
Votes |
replacing polybutylene pipes

Sarah Sullivan
Posted May 30 2024, 16:11

I was wondering if anyone has replaced polybutylene pipes recently in the Raleigh area.  I'm trying to get a ballpark of what it might cost for an approximately 1500 sq ft house with 2 baths.   Also, if you are renovating as a buy and hold would you automatically go ahead and replace them up front?

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Sherman
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Votes |
Pro Member
  • 12 Penns Trail Suite 138 Newtown, PA 18940
Replied May 31 2024, 11:36

I would get 3 quotes from contractors with good review from google and go from there

User Stats

Votes
Julie Muse
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Georgia
Votes |
Professional Services
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • North Georgia
Replied May 31 2024, 13:49

If I were renting it out and not refinancing I wouldn't take that cost up front personally. Also, THe cost to change is hard to say is it on a crawl space, slab or basement. That is going to make a big difference in the cost. Also, what sucks is the sheetrock work etc. If its a rental house I would let it fly until I had a problem. Ive seen many properties with this issue and never had a problem or could be easily repaired

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sullivan
Votes |
Replied May 31 2024, 14:45
Quote from @Julie Muse:

If I were renting it out and not refinancing I wouldn't take that cost up front personally. Also, THe cost to change is hard to say is it on a crawl space, slab or basement. That is going to make a big difference in the cost. Also, what sucks is the sheetrock work etc. If its a rental house I would let it fly until I had a problem. Ive seen many properties with this issue and never had a problem or could be easily repaired

Thank you Julie!  This is very helpful.

User Stats

Votes
Pat Lulewicz
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Raleigh NC and Greensboro, NC
Replied Jun 1 2024, 11:55

Wait until something (unfortunately) happens. It could be fine for years or a T could pop tomorrow. When you have your first issue, I'd have a trusted plumber (reach out if you want a good one) that can come same day to make the repair and can quote the replacement in its entirety; that person will usually give you the best pricing given that they're already there. To Julie's point, very different process/pricing when slab v crawl. 

User Stats

Votes
Adam Schneider
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jun 3 2024, 03:20

@Sarah Sullivan I'd wait until something happens....and then blame the tenant. :).  Another option is to get a quote so you at least have an idea....and if something happens in the next 12 months for example, and you are okay with the quote, you can just reach out to the person to do the job he/she quoted.

User Stats

Votes
Cory J Thornton
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Jun 3 2024, 07:09

@Sarah Sullivan - We had an investor client purchase a 3 bed 1 bath brick ranch on a crawl space with fairly accessible plumbing fixtures. They decided to update the poly pipe as a part of the initial renovation before turning it into a rental and I think the cost ended up being around $2500. That said, there are a ton of factors that could push that price up or down. 

Personally, if the pipe fittings were not leaking, and did not show signs of significant corrosion, then I would probably leave them alone until there was an issue. I would absolutely use the pipes as a hit against the property when negotiating to try and justify a lower purchase price, but I would wait until there was a sign of failure to replace anything. 

User Stats

Votes
Sherry McQuage
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Moore County, NC
Replied Jun 4 2024, 13:31

Depends on if crawlspace or slab...depends on if you can find a dependable plumber you trust.  Keep in mind, many tradespeople are getting older and retiring and there's not many going into the business, so it could cost more to wait to replace.  Just a thought.

Depends on if you have cash reserves to cover the pipe replacement now; if not, you could save a certain amount each month to put towards eventual replacement.

I guess you just have to decide if you want to pay to have the pipes replaced now, or at an unexpected time in the future.  If there's not much else "wrong" with the property (or if it's relatively new), you might choose to go ahead and pay a plumber to get it over with.

Definitely use polybutylene pipes as a "negative" when negotiating the purchase price.

With inflation, tradespeople retiring, and the growing population moving to the area, it might well be less expensive to have them switched out sooner rather than later.  Only you will know which is better for your situation.  I like to "idiot proof" buy and holds to minimize repairs.

Best to you!

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sullivan
Votes |
Replied Jun 9 2024, 20:46
Quote from @Cory J Thornton:

@Sarah Sullivan - We had an investor client purchase a 3 bed 1 bath brick ranch on a crawl space with fairly accessible plumbing fixtures. They decided to update the poly pipe as a part of the initial renovation before turning it into a rental and I think the cost ended up being around $2500. That said, there are a ton of factors that could push that price up or down. 

Personally, if the pipe fittings were not leaking, and did not show signs of significant corrosion, then I would probably leave them alone until there was an issue. I would absolutely use the pipes as a hit against the property when negotiating to try and justify a lower purchase price, but I would wait until there was a sign of failure to replace anything. 

Thank you.  At least this gives me a ballpark to start from, acknowledging there are many factors that could drive up the cost.  

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Sullivan
Votes |
Replied Jun 9 2024, 20:53
Quote from @Sherry McQuage:

Depends on if crawlspace or slab...depends on if you can find a dependable plumber you trust.  Keep in mind, many tradespeople are getting older and retiring and there's not many going into the business, so it could cost more to wait to replace.  Just a thought.

Depends on if you have cash reserves to cover the pipe replacement now; if not, you could save a certain amount each month to put towards eventual replacement.

I guess you just have to decide if you want to pay to have the pipes replaced now, or at an unexpected time in the future.  If there's not much else "wrong" with the property (or if it's relatively new), you might choose to go ahead and pay a plumber to get it over with.

Definitely use polybutylene pipes as a "negative" when negotiating the purchase price.

With inflation, tradespeople retiring, and the growing population moving to the area, it might well be less expensive to have them switched out sooner rather than later.  Only you will know which is better for your situation.  I like to "idiot proof" buy and holds to minimize repairs.

Best to you!

Thank you Sherry.  I want to be okay with leaving some things alone until there is a problem, but I worry about leaving it as is and then it costing more once a problem develops.  I'm more an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure kind of gal.