Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Bakersfield Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Logan Allec
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
California City, CA - is this town going downhill?

Logan Allec
  • Accountant
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Oct 21 2015, 01:03

So I recently sent out some marketing pieces to all of the Antelope Valley.  But strangely enough, of the 10 people who called me in response, 9 want to dump their properties in California City.  Hardly a peep from Palmdale or Lancaster, which are much larger cities to which I marketed much more heavily.  What's the story here?  Is California City on the way down?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 25 2024, 05:52
Quote from @Kira Rasmussen:
Quote from @Tee Allen:

I Been in California City since 2009 and a quite few things has changed they now have a quit a few stores that they didn't have  my mother and sister are still located out there. So for sure i know the market is growing as i see new faces every-time i am visiting and the go up on the rent every year. Now i am going to make it clear that Cal City is not in the position for fix and flipping as the market is very slow you can have a property on the market for 6 months before it sells. But it is great for holding if your looking for longevity California City is a Retirement city but it has its attractions as well like silver saddle ranch that thousands of tourist go to every year from all parts of CA they just built the Best western hotel and its still standing.  the central park has a lake that me and my family loves to go and feed the birds. lol @Josh Domingo Now the reason why the prices of the properties on Walpole doesn't make since is because Walpole is a  bad area the Mayor is in the process of making allot of tenants move because of the crime and as you know if you cant control your tenants nor property the city has rights to seize it. So instead of them getting their property seized its easier for them to throw their hands up and sell

Hopes this helps 

HI TEE!
I want to start a little glamping business out in the desert in CAL City. Should I worry about vandalism when I am not around you think? The property crime is quite high... 

I have the same question. I own residential and acreage lots in cal City but am concerned about vandalism. I feel that with recent prices, people will be pushed out of Lancaster and the high desert and into Cal City to buy a house or rent inexpensively. I’m eager to see what the future holds for this town as housing is getting over-inflated. I grew up in CA and Az and witnessed many BFE locations like Cal City that we thought no one would buy, build upon, or live in, that are now completely developed. I have faith in this town because I’d much rather live there than move out of state to somewhere like AZ, Nevada, or Utah. I also feel that some out of state buyers may see it as their chance to purchase a home in California… but time will tell. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Pierson
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Antelope Valley Palmdale Lancaster, Acton
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Antelope Valley Palmdale Lancaster, Acton
Replied Mar 25 2024, 08:04

Have you searched the crime rates in the area you have properties? Right now, just like other places in California there is a high rate of people entering vacant homes and squatting in them. This is happening a ton in Antelope Valley (Lancaster, Palmdale). There is just nothing out in California City that is a key part to economy. There is an Air-force base and other aerospace companies which I believe is much of the clientele there but from my experience most people will live in the Antelope Valley or Rosamond and commute to work out there. If you are doing projects I would just advise all contractors of the possible thefts or vandalism that could occur if things are left at sites for a longer period of time. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes