What kind of car do you drive?

What kind of car do you drive?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Greensboro, NC · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 68 votes

Just a fun post here. I have been a SFR investor for 15 years and now have $2M in rental RE while working a full time career. The cash flow was tight for years it seemed but the snowball of debt paydown is rolling big time now and I'll be able to "retire" in 2 years with enough cash flow to replace my salary.

That said, I can't imagine having a car payment and only buy used vehicles. I drove a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee (to haul all my rental supplies) for 7 years and the engine blew a year ago with 275k miles. I made a significant upgrade and replaced it with a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 110k miles and paid $3,600 cash.

I don't need the status symbol of a new vehicle nor the monthly payment and living well below my means is my motto. As Dave Ramsey says, "live like no one else today, so you can live like no one else tomorrow".

37Reply
3,569 views

Most Popular Reply

Roy N.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
11y

My preferred ride:

See this reply in the discussion

499 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 431 posts · 106 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Matt R. 

      unfortunately for me I am a wanna be airline pilot.. so the best I could do is buy airplanes now you talk about a big hole to poor money down... But the joy oh the joy... When I am down your way I fly over to Catalina land there have a buffalo burger then few hours later I am back in Oregon... Nothing finer.. !!!  also its cool to fly over LAX a 2500 ft not talking to anyone and watching the heavy iron take off and land under you...

    AS for cars.. I have never had the classic bug but have owned pretty much everything except a Ferrari or Maserati.. Its better to just have buddies that have those car's. 5k tune ups are a drag. !! 

    Vfr transition route through LAX?  That has to be pretty surreal.

  • Investor · Crosby, TX · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs  oops my mistake, its a 458. Now you see why i drive a Camry!

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    1965 GTO later model 428 with turbo 400 auto.

    1980 Mark VI Continental 70k

    1982 Ford E-150 Van work truck 188k

    2000 Mazda Miata 70k miles

    2011 Toyota Camry 19k bought new-highway traveler

    GF 2009 Subaru Legacy 56k

    Insurance and umbrella up there.

  • Effort, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 63 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Sandy Blanton:

    Wow, I love that Vette (and I never liked them at all until recent years).  I drove a 2006 Saturn Vue for nearly a decade, still have it but it's about to hit the market.  I just bought a Caddy Coupe and I love it.  **Oh it is two years old as I never do the first year depreciation on automobiles.  :)  

     Sweet CTS Sandy, great color. I have a black coupe and love it. 

  • Effort, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 63 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Brian Albelli:

    That's cool is that the new lexus?

    Jay,

    You're kidding right? That's the new Corvette Stingray. I wanted to get one of those, but my daughter is not old enough to sit in the front seat so I have to wait for another 3-4 years. Isn't it cool to have a wife that's working so her hubby can afford nice toys to drive the daughter around? I love my wife.  :0)

     My kid is 5 and rides in it all the time. It actually senses a car/booster seat and turns off the passenger airbag. Ive had every body style since the C4 and the technology in the C7 is unreal. Hope you get yours soon!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rick H.:

    OK Rick bringing out the big guns  !!!!

    Here is my money pit

    http://cirrusdesign.com/sr22/

  • Effort, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 63 votes
    11y

    2014 C7 Corvette, 2012 Turbo Beetle Covertible, 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 F-150, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2014 Mustang GT, and a 2011 Can Am Spyder.  

  • Investor · Columbus, MT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I drive a 91 Toyota pickup 4x4 (for all the stupid snow we get here in the winter) 

    I paid $500 for it and rebuilt the head cuz I wanted to use our savings to buy another house and not a vehicle... And so we did. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Matt R. 

      not to high jack the thread which I have been accused of and did not even realize I was doing it... The VFR transition is from Santa Monica to the south  or coming back into santa Monica .. it requires no radio contact with LA center or LAX you simply sqwak the code and fly at the assigned altitude.. Ali Boone is probably the expert on this as she is a flight instructor there in the LA basin.. I was just a transient.. I did one of my biannual with a flight instructor there at Santa Monica so its really the only reason I know this..

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brian Albelli:

    2014 C7 Corvette, 2012 Turbo Beetle Covertible, 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 F-150, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2014 Mustang GT, and a 2011 Can Am Spyder.  

    Now there is the life of a someone who has made it in RE and were many hope to be.

    good on you keep other than the beetles way to keep the American econmy rocking .. of course the beetle is probably made here.. ( I don't know just a guess)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Chris McDaniel:

    @Jay Hinrichs  oops my mistake, its a 458. Now you see why i drive a Camry!

    is it a Ferrari?

  • Real Estate Investor · Albemarle, NC · Member since 2015 · 86 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    a Beater 95 Toyota Tacoma - mini sized truck -- 27 MPG can haul "things" as long as they don't weigh too much!

  • Investor · Crosby, TX · Member since 2014 · 124 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs  Yes the 458 Italia is a Ferrari.

    http://auto.ferrari.com/en_EN/sports-cars-models/car-range/458-italia/

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2012 · 221 posts · 49 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Brian Albelli . There were only 10 we could find nationwide with that color + nav + moonroof that were 2012-4 units.  We drove 500 miles to fetch it.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Chris McDaniel 

      yes I can see how that super car would get a a reaction in the drive through !!!

  • Effort, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 63 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Brian Albelli:

    2014 C7 Corvette, 2012 Turbo Beetle Covertible, 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2013 F-150, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2014 Mustang GT, and a 2011 Can Am Spyder.  

    Now there is the life of a someone who has made it in RE and were many hope to be.

    good on you keep other than the beetles way to keep the American econmy rocking .. of course the beetle is probably made here.. ( I don't know just a guess)

     Thanks!! Actually, I just started investing in RE last year. We have a car care franchise and a very successful restaurant/bar in an upscale outlets mall. We flipped 3 houses last year, netting a 100k which I am thrilled about. We currently have 2 more houses under contract and a 3rd one pending. I hope to complete 6 flips this year. Cant wait to see what the year brings. Maybe I can be posting a ferrari on this thread in a few years!

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    11y

    2014  F250 4x4.   Making a payment doesnt bother me because without it, I dont make money.   While the paid free and clear 1998 with 200k miles on it may work in you milder climate states,  up here in WNY dependability is my biggest concern and knowing I can fire up and go on a -14 morning is worth every penny. 

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs Right on. I am a regular unintentional bp high jacker.  For example, there was a flight school in SM that did a groupon and the high volume pissed off a bunch of residents. They almost got them to close one school down. One plane landed on the beach a couple years ago. It is a sticky subject in SM sometimes. BTW Van Nuys is usually the busiest general aviation airport in the world.

    now back to the cars, trucks and motorcycles.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Brian Albelli 

      take it any way you can get it... there is other ways to make dough other than RE that's for sure.!!! and its all relative.. I was on my Cirrus Owners and Pilots forum yesterday.. I only frequent two that one and this one... And there was a discussion from those that have moved up from the Cirrus to VLJ  ( Very Light Jets) and how much it cost to operate them yearly.. 350 to 450k a year is what those boys spend on those toys.. and that does not include the purchase of the aircraft... And many are RE developers and builders. Not a one I have seen on BP though... Smart and successful yes.. made their money in RE yes!.

    envious Yes... I had a deposit on the cirrus jet prior to the crash and had to give it up.

    But there ya go everyone has something to work for !!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    Currently, I’m driving a 2006 Caravan and 2007 Dodge Caliber.

    The last two days I have been desiring a Silver Rolls Royce Phantom SUV.

    Heck you never know in life.

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    2006 Ford Explorer. 121,000 miles. Paid for.

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 183 posts · 155 votes
    11y
    2008 Supercharged Harley Davidson F150. Considering how much time I spend in my truck I definitely want to be driving something I enjoy. I understand where everyone is coming from who drives their car until it dies and then go out and buy another heavily used one for cash, but if I pinched pennies in every aspect of life I would go crazy. The money won't be buried with us, we all have to enjoy ourselves one way or another!
  • Contractor · Rego Park, NY · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 20 votes
    11y
    12 mustang gt , and I don't have the heart to part with it.
  • Contractor · Palmdale, CA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    2004 sequoia. 200k miles! Great car for the family. If you ever need a family SUV, strongly recommend.

  • Effort, PA · Member since 2015 · 19 posts · 63 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Zach Mitchell:

    2008 Supercharged Harley Davidson F150. Considering how much time I spend in my truck I definitely want to be driving something I enjoy. I understand where everyone is coming from who drives their car until it dies and then go out and buy another heavily used one for cash, but if I pinched pennies in every aspect of life I would go crazy. The money won't be buried with us, we all have to enjoy ourselves one way or another!

     So many people think that they have to save,save save…..pinch every penny until your 65 then live the rest of your life like "nobody else". My opinion is this…..as an investor, would you trade 47 of something of value for 11 of the same valued items? No. So why would we trade 47 (age18-65) years of our lives, suffering and penny pinching to save for "retirement", just to get 11 (age 65-76, 76 is average age of death) years of good years to spend all that saved cash? I don't know about you, but I don't think Im going to enjoy my offshore boat at 75 like I do now, or my Corvette at 76 like I can now. Furthermore, who knows if we are going to see 76. I live my life for the moment. If I want something that I don't make enough money to afford, I simply make more money. Most people would take on another job, I take on another income producing investment. My family lives like no other today, and will always live like no other. I never understood that mentality of going without, for your entire prime years so you can retire someday. Ask any retired person, and they tell you to spend it while your young and you can enjoy it. Sorry if my rant is confusing. Rant over!

     "I want to make more money so I can spend more. I don't want to make more money to save more"- Minh Le     Great philosophy 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.