Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Los Angeles County Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rana Kaleel
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
Recommendation for California Real Estate licensing Course

Rana Kaleel
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Posted

After investing in a few properties I want to go the next step of becoming a re agent. Anyone recommend a licensing course they took? I heard re express will get the job done (also cheapest) but if it’s too wordy and hard to retain it might just be wasting time if I find it hard to finish.  Any personal experiences with it or another course? Seems hard to pay $300 when some are only $80 but will do so if it makes sense. Also any recommendations for the elective? Some courses only offers finance but some say stay away and stick with prop management or legal. Thanks guys! Stay safe ! 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Hedberg
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Venice, CA
Replied

I used CA Realty Training (https://www.carealtytraining.com/) and absolutely loved the program. They kept the classes entertaining and did a great job answering my questions. They currently have online courses. I did Finance but don't have any comments on the electives.

In terms of price, they probably aren't the cheapest but the couple hundreds bucks you spends pales in comparison in terms of the amount of money you can make in real estate. I would prioritize quality over cost.

When I took my test and I breezed through and passed it easily (they don't give you a score). Standing in line there were people that took a crash course and had taken the test multiple times. Do it right the first time.

User Stats

Votes
Rana Kaleel
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Redondo Beach, CA
Replied

Thanks Nick,thats very true,I think I will take your recommendation. 

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Jean Santiago
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chino Hills CA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Chino Hills CA
Replied

I really wanted an in-class Real estate course, and i found one in Pasadena called C.O.R.E (College of Real Estate). It's not really a college, it's actually a Real Estate office, which was actually nice because you get introduced so some of their team! My instructor's name was Mike and he was really energetic ans taught the class well!

Also, they have different a schedules on which days you want to attend. I suggest to call them and ask!

I did the tuesday and thursday session which was from 9am-2pm for 3 months, after that, you'll have completed the requirements and they help you submit and fill-out the application for the exam! 

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Road
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied

Hi Rana,

I have been in the business for 20 years, but when I got started, when I recently got my broker's license and each 4 years I renew, I always use Revei (https://www.revei.com/). They are the "gold standard" in Southern California and Shane, the owner, is always super helpful with anything you need including anything you need once you pass and dealing with the DRE.

If you have any questions about getting your license or even once you have it, feel free to reach out to me anytime.

User Stats

Votes
Sebastian Marroquin
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied

Do it online : least expensive possible and then go to a good brokerage to learn the ins and outs and get training. 

Ask yourself also: what is your goal? 

I hear of people getting their license all the time to avoid paying a listing commission or to get the commission on the buying side... honestly, a mistake in my perspective. 

It all depends on your goals: if you want to do retail RE and close multiple/ many transactions, then it will be profitable and it will make sense. 

But I rather leverage liability on others when I can. 

User Stats

Votes
Shawn Morey
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Burbank, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Burbank, CA
Replied

We have all of our agents go through Allied online and then they take the Real Estate Trainers Crash Course the weekend before their test. It is a great way to refresh all of the knowledge on the test weekend

Sadly a lot of the stuff on the test is not knowledge that you use day to day

User Stats

Votes
Alan Matthyssen
  • Torrance, CA
Votes |
  • Torrance, CA
Replied

I am actually doing an online course right now through RE Express (studying for final for Principles of Real Estate) since I had some downtime I figured I might as well come out the other end of these present times with a license. I want to be able to get into renting houses but with limited capital and tax lien sales in arizona being my only "investing experience" I figuered this will expose me to the multiple facets of the industry. At least I will be legally able to help out people directly instead of "going through an agent"

That being said its a pretty straightforward class of knowledge of laws and regulations and memorizing them to take the test. It seems overwhelming since I don't really know how much of this information will actually be used in the field vs actual practice. But if you're looking for a study partner or someone to bounce ideas off of I reside in Torrance! 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Pedroza
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Sacramento/Placer ~ San Francisco Bay Area counties
Replied
Originally posted by @Alan Matthyssen:

I am actually doing an online course right now through RE Express (studying for final for Principles of Real Estate) since I had some downtime I figured I might as well come out the other end of these present times with a license. I want to be able to get into renting houses but with limited capital and tax lien sales in arizona being my only "investing experience" I figuered this will expose me to the multiple facets of the industry. At least I will be legally able to help out people directly instead of "going through an agent"

That being said its a pretty straightforward class of knowledge of laws and regulations and memorizing them to take the test. It seems overwhelming since I don't really know how much of this information will actually be used in the field vs actual practice. But if you're looking for a study partner or someone to bounce ideas off of I reside in Torrance! 

As a third elective to satisfy one of the three prerequisites in order to sit for the exam I would recommend real estate law or real estate finance.

Good luck..

User Stats

Votes
Austin Mudd
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

I found https://www.retrainersca.com/ easy, affordable, and effective. 

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Hannon
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ventura County
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Ventura County
Replied

I did real estate express and liked it. It was pretty boring, but I had a full time job at the time and it was perfect for my needs.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Wright
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles
Replied

@Rana Kaleel Real Estate Express only. Worked very well for me.