Starting a Meet-up Groups in Los Angeles

Starting a Meet-up Groups in Los Angeles

Sylmar, CA · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 28 votes

Hey Guys,

I have noticed that the closest meetup events for The Greater Los Angeles Area are always in Riverside. I want something closer to my areas of operation (military term) and I have found 2 locations I can use. One in Downtown LA, and the other in Culver City. (2 more possibilities is Hollywood & The Valley)

    Wanted to see if any other members here would be interested in participating? I have found that too many groups are just way too pitchy or are trying to sell some MLM nonsense that is not even related to Real Estate.

      If this sounds like something you are interested in please leave a comment stating with the following information below. I will start to calendar some dates.

      1. Area, 
      2. Day(s) of the week you can meet up
      3. Frequency you'd like to meet

        Looking forward to meeting up with you all soon.

          Best,

          Ruddy

          15Reply
          304 views

          Most Popular Reply

          Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
          8y

          Hi @Ruddy Anthony Salazar

          There is a free BP meetup in Santa Monica the second Saturday of every month.  It's not sales pitchy at all.
           

          It starts at 11am and goes for a couple of hours.  Don't forget to bring your business cards because there's a lot of opportunity to network there.  It's located at 

          The UnUrban Cafe, 3301 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica

          Hope to see you there!

          Khoa

          See this reply in the discussion

          135 Replies

          Jump to latestLatest
          • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote
            8y
            Hi, near Culver City. Once a month and any day would work. Im a fireman so my schedule rotates everyday.
          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
            8y

            Hi @Brandon Foster - I won't be able to make it this Saturday but will try to make it in the future.  Is there an actual meetup (online group) that I can join to see updates?

          • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 155 votes
            8y

            @Khoa P. We have a South Los Angeles Biggerpockets Facebook Group where we post all events, information, and related RE articles. 

            Downtown meeting during the week, preferably evening times would be great!!! Thank you! 

          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
            8y

            Hi @KJ L. - Can you provide the name or URL to your FB group?  I'd like to join it if I can.

            Was that second statement for me or someone else? 

          • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 155 votes
            8y

            @Khoa P. The name of the FB Group is : South Los Angeles Bigger Pockets Facebook Group

            The second statement was general statement to whoever is trying to start the downtown meetup ^_^ 

          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
            8y

            Got it... thanks @KJ L.  Hope to meet you in person soon!

          • Rental Property Investor · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
            8y
            I would be interested in meeting up in any of those areas in LA just let me know the time and the place
          • Lender · Northridge, CA · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 42 votes
            8y

            @Gerard Watson @Joseph M. @John Koster we host one in the valley. Every 3rd Thursdays 6:30-8:30pm. Potluck. At Collective Lifestyle 8906 Reseda Blvd., Northridge 91324. The next one is in 2 days on March 15th. 

            https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/544346-san-fernando-valley-networking-meetup-northridge

          • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 22 votes
            8y
            Hi everybody. I am a total, 100% newbie! This is my very first post anywhere on BP, and am glad for it to be on an LA thread born and raised!). Thanks so much for posting this meetup info. I hope to make some of the South LA and Santa Monica meetings on Saturdays. (Saturdays work best for me). I live in Pico-Union/K-Town area and am trying to learn as much about REI as I can before jumping in. (I'm thinking maybe out-of-state and/or turnkey to start? I don't know!) Looking forward to getting to know you guys as time goes on
          • Will BarnardPro Member
            Moderator
            Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
            8y

            The San Fernando Valley is definitely lacking in quality real estate Investment clubs. I was in the club circuit for many years and have spoken at events both locally and across the country. I have not been attending any on a regular basis for several years now for a number of reasons. Too busy doing deals which keeps my schedule full, got tired of the BS that appeared at several, and mostly logistics (there is just not any good ones I know of in the SFV which is convenient for me.

            If you get enough interest for the SFV, let me know (for weekdays).

          • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
            8y
            Originally posted by @Marvin Barrera:

            Hi everybody. I am a total, 100% newbie! This is my very first post anywhere on BP, and am glad for it to be on an LA thread born and raised!). Thanks so much for posting this meetup info. I hope to make some of the South LA and Santa Monica meetings on Saturdays. (Saturdays work best for me). I live in Pico-Union/K-Town area and am trying to learn as much about REI as I can before jumping in. (I'm thinking maybe out-of-state and/or turnkey to start? I don't know!) Looking forward to getting to know you guys as time goes on

             Welcome to the site Marvin. If you are looking into out of state investing you are not alone. Many folks, especially those on the west coast find themselves in the same situation that you are in. It's not really that complicated to buy out of state. It only becomes complicated when investors try to over complicate or over think everything. Whenever you are buying a property out of state you should do a few things to ensure it's as smooth as possible.

            • Don't buy in the roughest neighborhood in the urban core. Pick a solid B-Class suburban area. Perhaps a nice 1950's built bungalow.
            • Always hire a 3rd party property inspector to give you an unbiased feel for the home. The reports are 40-90 pages long and go through the entire house in great detail.
            • Get an appraisal. If your using financing the bank requires this. This is good. The bank isn't going to let you blow their money. They have more skin in the game then you do.
            • Make sure you get clear title. If using a lender this is a non issue. They will make you do this. It's those maniacs that buy homes cash via quit claim deed off of craigslist that really get screwed.
            • Make sure your property manager is a licensed real estate brokerage.
            • Understand you can not eliminate all risk, only mitigate it. If you are risk adverse real estate, (especially out of state) is not for you.
          • Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 22 votes
            8y

            Hi @James Wise  thanks for the welcome! And thanks for those tips. Will definitely be referencing that list as I continue learning and weighing options 

          • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 155 votes
            8y

            @Khoa P. Ditto, let me know if @Brandon Foster or I can help you with anything! 

          • Investor · Tarzana, CA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 5 votes
            8y

            Please let me know when you have a meeting.  I am in the Valley and very interested.  I'm a realtor and an out of town investor.  Does anyone know a good accountant who know real estate investments. 

          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 16 votes
            8y

            @Ruddy Anthony Salazar Thanks for starting this thread! I'm very interested in a more local meetup. I can do DTLA on weekdays (if it's near a metro stop) or Culver City most days (as long as it's not during work hours).

            @Khoa P. Can you provide the link to the BP Santa Monica meetup you're referring to?

            Thanks!

          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
            8y

            @Vivian Huang - There's no official meetup for Santa Monica.  The only listing is on BP.  You can find it here.

            https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/472181-la-santa-monica-meetup

          • Whittier, CA · Member since 2010 · 19 posts · 5 votes
            8y

            Any REI groups or meet-ups out towards the Bellflower/Downey area?

          • Christian BachelderBusiness Member
            Real Estate Broker · Marina del Rey, CA · Member since 2018 · 105 posts · 25 votes
            8y
            One more interested in an LA meetup here. I am located in the valley but commute to downtown. Simi, Hollywood, SF valley, LA are all within reach for me. Weekends are good for me but could also do later afternoons on weekdays. Very interested in being a regular at local meet ups.
          • Downey, CA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
            8y
            Newbie here to establish relationships with people in every aspect the REI, and looking to get my first deal soon. Are there any meet ups in southeast LA County? Downey, Cerritos, Whittier, Bellflower, Lakewood. I see Jose Tovar is also interested in the area.
          • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2014 · 324 posts · 268 votes
            8y

            @Armando Partida, I would also be interested in a meetup in the east (whittier area).

            I work in culver city but probably cannot make meet ups there often. 

          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 2 votes
            8y
            Hi! I’m in Culver City, I’m trying to figure out which LA Area meetings make the most sense for me as an investor and I also raise money for established Syndications across the country. I’m looking for off-market properties. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday seem to be best and Sunday also works for me. Once a month or how about a webinar group call? No fighting traffic!
          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
            8y

            Hi everyone.  I would love to get a meeting setup close to my home in the Miracle Mile / Beverly Hills area.  Let me know if anyone is interested. I can do weekdays or weekends. Im a real estate investor and want to collaborate with other people in this industry. I have been doing property mgmt of multi family units in the area for over 20 years.  Looking at larger complexes to buy in Los Angeles and or out of state.

          • los angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 5 votes
            8y
            I’m in the Beverly Hills area and I’d love to grab lunch or a meet up at the evening to share and learn.
          • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
            8y

            I’m right around Culver City and the Beverly Hills area as well and would be interested in a meetup.  My schedule is flexible so pretty much anytime works for me.

          • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 7 votes
            8y

            I'll be interested in the Culver City area.

            Tuesday or Wednesday or Friday nights are better for me.

            Thank you.

          Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.