Learning About Zoning Laws

Learning About Zoning Laws

Real Estate Agent · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 27 votes

Hey everyone,

So I've been listening to a lot of the podcasts here lately, and quite a few of the guests have talked about zoning laws. Many of them shared how they were able to greatly increase the values of the properties they were purchasing due to the knowledge they had about zoning laws in their area. While I've found a couple different ways to learn about the laws in my area, I was wondering what strategies other members of BP have used to educate themselves on zoning laws in their area. Also, would learning about these laws be beneficial for business, or should I spend my time elsewhere? If anyone has a success story on how learning about zoning laws benefited their business, I would be interested in hearing it.

Thanks all.

Jesse

0Reply
9 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Zoning laws are tough. Even when you think you understand them, there's often a lot of misunderstanding and red tape to work through. I'll admit, I don't have nearly the experience of others here, so I'll be curious what others have to say.
  • Real Estate Agent · Mansfield, OH · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Yeah, I feel the same @Mike McCarthy. A lot of the podcasts have talked about in terms of adding additional units to a property. Another one involved a guy from Detroit who took out a single family property, split the acre of land up into multiple lots, and then put multifamily properties on the land. And his explanation was that he was able to do all of that because he understood the zoning laws for his area. I think it's a really interesting way to make sure you get everything out of a property, as well as another way that a property may make sense to purchase. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.