User Stats

Votes
Ben Ruffing
Votes |
Money for Downpayment

Ben Ruffing
Posted Jun 24 2024, 15:43

Hello,

I am a teacher for my job and have 2 duplexes now. I am focusing on trying to find off market deals and working with creative finance since expansion is slow moving based on my salary, and I'm too impatient to wait for the duplexes to earn another down payment.

Is there a financing option that I am missing to get a loan for a down payment? One hard money lender told me they don't do loans of that nature, and I am meeting with a different one tomorrow.

Curious if anyone has any solutions.

Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
John Cardinale
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 24 2024, 16:23
Quote from @Ben Ruffing:

Hello,

I am a teacher for my job and have 2 duplexes now. I am focusing on trying to find off market deals and working with creative finance since expansion is slow moving based on my salary, and I'm too impatient to wait for the duplexes to earn another down payment.

Is there a financing option that I am missing to get a loan for a down payment? One hard money lender told me they don't do loans of that nature, and I am meeting with a different one tomorrow.

Curious if anyone has any solutions.

Thanks! 

Find a deal where the seller is willing to owner finance and instead of having them do the majority of the deal ask them to loan you the down payment. 

User Stats

Votes
Kory Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • NH
Replied Jun 25 2024, 07:29

Or, find a business partner who has money, but not time.  You bring the time and a little money, they bring the rest of the money, and you go out and make some deals.

You are giving up more of the upside, but it is getting you in on deals you otherwise couldn't have pursued.  Would rather have 30% of a $1m deal than 100% of no deal.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.