Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Colin Bussey
Votes |
Renting vs. Buying

Colin Bussey
Posted May 24 2024, 17:55

I'll be moving to New Orleans, LA soon to run a large construction project which will likely last 2 years. I was hoping to get some opinions on renting vs purchasing. I currently own three rental properties and a primary. I can easily afford the NOLA mortgage while living there but was hoping to rent out the property after the project is completed. After running rental numbers I cant seem to find a property that cash flows utilizing the LTR strategy. I'm open to STR (lots of restrictions with these in NOLA) and MTR's but have no experience with either. Should I just rent and save my money for the next property that will cash flow, or buy in NOLA? One goal of mine is to also own a second home in NOLA so this might be the opportunity I'm looking for.

Looking forward to any advice I can get.

Thanks,

Colin 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Replied May 24 2024, 18:26

Is it less expensive to rent or own in NOLA?  If it is cheaper to own, you may want to buy and even if you sell in 2 years (assuming the development is finished on time), you may still come out ahead in terms of selling the property vs paying someone else's mortgage.

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Keighery
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Replied May 28 2024, 12:12

Welcome to NOLA. A big variable here is insurance. It would probably be cheaper to rent than to own here when you factor insurance in. That being said you aren't getting the benefits of owning the asset. I would personally rent if it is temporary so you don't mix a personal and investment decisions. While you are here and learn about the market perhaps buy a rental that you could analyze as an investment. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.