Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Innovative Strategies

User Stats

Votes
Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Votes |
Coliving (Professionally Run Roommate Situation) on a Small Scale

Kristine Ann
  • Investor
  • WNY/CNY/Adirondacks, New York State
Posted May 14 2024, 05:48

Is there anyone on here that has offered coliving on a small scale?  Coliving is basically when you rent out individual rooms in a nice home.  It's set up for roommates and housekeeping is included.  Sometimes shared kitchen items are provided, like olive oil, coffee pods and creamer.  It's people-intensive and blends the amenities of an airbnb  with a boarding room/inn concept.  

I'm looking at a low cost of living area that's plagued with a housing shortage. My thought is to buy a large home, alter it slightly so it's set up for roommates instead of a family, and then rent to individual professionals that work at the hospital or local school district.  

Has anyone does this? Can you recommend from resources or things to consider?

User Stats

Votes
Rachel Davis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brevard County, FL
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Brevard County, FL
Replied May 23 2024, 12:45

What I do is sober living, which is a bit similar in nature. Some things that jump out at me:

1) Many cities have codes that establish the number of unrelated individuals that can live in the home, so you will need to do some research on this in your area. 

2) You may need commercial property insurance, as your insurance company will likely consider this a business exposure. This can be quite expensive. 

3) Make sure you buy furniture with a high weight capacity. 

4) This arrangement doesn't attract the best tenants. If you get a bad tenant, the rest of your tenants have to live with this person until you can successfully evict them. Have you thought about how you might handle that situation?

Hope this helps and good luck!