Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Innovative Strategies
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Teachout
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Votes |
Mid-Term Rentals, DADU and creative value adds

Brandon Teachout
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Posted

Hello!  I am very excited to be learning more about bigger pockets and actually being active in the community of investors. I have a few questions that I'm trying navigate in the middle of 1,000 endless projects. Probably some of the same questions others have asked but I'm going to include a bunch in this post. and I look forward to hearing from you all!

my current situation is;

I currently have a 1b/1b private unit rented to Travel nurses and I am mid construction on the main house, to finish basement after it flooded. The main house will be 4bed/2bath and I want to rent by door as midterm travel nurse facility. I am looking for a little input on what amenities would be preferred in a house shared by traveling professionals. Beyond the standard furnishings, like bed, desk, dishes, etc etc etc, there will be two bathrooms each with a shower, a shared kitchen and shared laundry. I have the ability to leave a small gym setup, but I'm not sure if its a liability or if I could produce a waiver to sign with lease? The other idea I had was to add two additional bedrooms, making two bedrooms per floor of three floor house. This option cuts out the ability to have a gym and could potentially create time management issues having 6 tenants share two bathrooms. I'm also not sure that the water tank would sustain that many occupants. I'm willing to upgrade plumbing systems in order to mitigate those issues, but I am not sure what upgrades those would be.

Looking at rental comps per room are $1,100-$1,500 depending on location and amenities and my property is located less than .5miles to Hospital in Everett, WA. 

In Summary, the 1b/1b unit rents for $2,500 a month and the rooms will be $1,200(to be conservative) making approximately $7,300 in cashflow. 

Next step is funding the purchase of my next property and securing the loan, I am working with a brokerage to help get approved but I'm still exploring some creative options to fun/finance this next purchase. I have heard of using home as collateral or maybe this high cash flow property would help qualify as income?

I did previously have a one year lease that ended and we transitioned into this mid term strategy, and that income was claimed on last years taxes. 

I have quite a bit of equity in the home that I've never touched. 

I found the property that Id like to purchase and convert the barn into a two bedroom DADU.

I'm self employed but have recently applied to quite a few jobs as that seems to be the biggest hold up in being able to be financed.

If anyone has a suggestion about any of these things, I'd love to hear from you! .....but please be kind, we are still new to figuring out all the specifics! :)

User Stats

Votes
Brian Kantor
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, NY
Replied

Lucky for you, there is a brand new BP book on this exact topic :)

Check out "30 Day Stay".

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Teachout
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Everett, WA
Replied
Quote from @Brian Kantor:

Lucky for you, there is a brand new BP book on this exact topic :)

Check out "30 Day Stay".

Good luck!

Thanks for the link! :)

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.