Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Texas Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Sara Schiman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Real Estate License Course/Class in Texas

Sara Schiman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Posted Nov 22 2016, 22:59

I'm in the early stages of working towards my real estate license, with the goal of practicing in Austin, Texas. I'm trying to find the best program to do the coursework through and would appreciate opinions.

So far I've looked at Real Estate Express, Kaplan, Champions, and Texas State Online. I've checked the reviews for all and seem to get mixed results. Would love some advice from anyone who has personally used any of the above (or any that I missed). The main goal is to get a good understanding and pass the first time! 

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Nov 23 2016, 01:44

I used real estate express and found that it was the cheapest and I passed both on the first try.

User Stats

Votes
Greg H.
  • Broker/Flipper
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Broker/Flipper
  • Austin, TX
ModeratorReplied Nov 23 2016, 04:06

@Sara Schiman

Groupon often has a deal for the whole online package.  All courses have the same basic information to help you pass the exam

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Tom Cooper
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Nov 23 2016, 07:02

@Sara Schiman,

I am in the midst of using Real Estate Express and am very pleased.  I looked at all the big 3 or 4 and all have mixed reviews.   Real Estate Express is about half the cost of some of the others.   Offers a textbook along with the online, so you can go back and forth if you like.  Sometimes I get tired of staring at the computer screen, and read from the book (I can highlight also for later review), then jump online to take the quiz at the end of the chapter.   Please send me a PM, I may be able to help you get even a further discount with them.

Good luck,

Tom

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2016, 13:23

@Sara Schiman

Austin Institute of Real Estate. Best in the city. 

User Stats

Votes
Katrina M.
  • Architect
  • Sydney, NSW
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Sydney, NSW
Replied Nov 23 2016, 14:26

I am using Real Estate Express right now while overseas. I like the way the divide the info into smaller parts so it is easy to read from the screen. There are a few little things which don't match, like the add info about new piece of legislation and do not update the old piece, but you pick up these little errors easily. 

The online support has been pretty fast and I attended one webinar/live class with instructor where you can ask questions. Not sure if I will be doing it weekly but can be useful from time to time.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Vasquez
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 23 2016, 18:26

I've taken courses at Austin Institute of Real Estate, Real Estate Express and Champions. Real Estate Express is the cheapest and easiest to do. AIRE is the most expensive. Champions is right in the middle. 

If you REALLY want to get the full experience and get a good learning experience, go to the classes. You'll meet a lot of beginners and veterans, plus you'll be able to ask the instructors as many questions as you want. You'll also be able to talk to different brokerage companies and ask them questions so you can decide who you want to go with. 

My personal favorite is Champions in Round Rock. Hope this helps!    

User Stats

Votes
Sara Schiman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied Nov 26 2016, 11:14

Thanks for the help everybody! I think I'm going to go with real estate express due to the cost and location convenience factor. I appreciate the input!