Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Massachusetts Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum

User Stats

Votes
Milton Carrillo
Votes |
Convert 2 Family to 3 Family in Lynn MA

Milton Carrillo
Posted Nov 15 2021, 17:25

legal 2 family house but it has converted to a 3 family with separate utilities, egresses, smoke detectors, etc. The attic has been built up with kitchen, bath, living room and 3 bedrooms. The space is actually very nice and modern. The seller's agent says that converting to a legal 3 family will not be a big problem and will only need an application submitted with the city hall. However, I am not so sure it will be that easy. Anyone has any experience converting a 2 family to 3 family in Lynn? Would I need an architect (the space is built so perhaps it will need an architect evaluation), zoning lawyer, etc? Anything else I should ask the agent or recommendations for architect or zoning lawyers I can talk to? 

Thanks a lot!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Weber
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Replied Nov 16 2021, 07:15

@Milton Carrillo your best bet is going to be to go to the city and speak with someone in the Building Department or Planning Department. They will look up the zoning district that the property is in and see if a 3 unit building is an approved "Use" in that zoning district. Assuming that it is, it will likely just be a paperwork process and an inspection to get a Certificate of Occupancy for that 3rd unit. 

User Stats

Votes
Milton Carrillo
Votes |
Replied Nov 17 2021, 06:46

@Dan Weber thanks a lot for the information

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Judy
  • Wayland, MA
Votes |
  • Wayland, MA
Replied Nov 19 2021, 20:56

Biggest issue is probably fire sprinklers - many towns require them for conversion to a 3 family. 

User Stats

Votes
Milton Carrillo
Votes |
Replied Nov 22 2021, 17:58

@Ryan Judy are sprinklers required on multifamily? The rest of the house does not have sprinklers

User Stats

Votes
Dan Weber
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Replied Nov 22 2021, 18:08

@Milton Carrillo changing the building from a two family to a three family would be considered a “change of use” which would trigger new construction standards, which are sprinklers.

User Stats

Votes
Milton Carrillo
Votes |
Replied Nov 22 2021, 18:54

This house is already built as 3 family with separate entries and utilities but the deed is as a 2 family. Does that change anything? 

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Judy
  • Wayland, MA
Votes |
  • Wayland, MA
Replied Nov 22 2021, 21:17

I don't believe so but I guess you might have some debate if you could argue it had been a 3 family for a significant period of time. 

But as Dan said - conversion to a 3 family is a change of use, and would require sprinklers. 

If you end up going that route let me know how you do with the sprinkler installation - I may have to do same for a property I would like to convert sometime in the future. 

User Stats

Votes
Lien Vuong
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Boston, MA
Replied Nov 30 2021, 07:43

Dan has some great pointers there, I would work with your buyers agent here and not listen to the seller's agent who does not have you fiduciary interest in mind to execute this plan.