Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Maryland Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Votes |
Where are the Multifamilies in Maryland?

Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Posted Apr 24 2017, 19:50

Hi BP friends,

I just got a hold of Scott Trench's new book Set for Life (Absolutely AMAZING read, by the way. If you don't have it and you're a W2 Employee like myself, get it. Please!)

Anyhow, Scott makes a great point about multi-family investing as a first-time homebuyer. I wanted to know, based on you guys' experience, where would the most opportunity lie in finding a triplex/fourplex (Preferably fourplex) in Maryland? Assume the price-point is negligible, you'd use an FHA loan to finance the purchase, and you'd be house-hacking the property. What counties in Maryland have fourplexes available for first-time homebuyers to purchase, are the best benefit and value to the buyer, and what would the rents look like in such areas?

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Apr 24 2017, 19:54

Multifamily properties exist in only the tiniest numbers in the DC metro area. It is not a strategy you should focus too strongly on in our area. Where they do exist, Takoma Park (Very Restrictive rent control) DC neighborhoods of Anacostia, Trinidad, Deanwood (Most wont qualify for FHA financing), a few in Frederick MD, and a few in Baltimore. You might have one offs here and there, for instance one of the only examples of one in College Park just sold.

Account Closed
  • College Park, MD
Votes |
  • College Park, MD
Replied Apr 25 2017, 04:07
Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

Multifamily properties exist in only the tiniest numbers in the DC metro area. It is not a strategy you should focus too strongly on in our area. Where they do exist, Takoma Park (Very Restrictive rent control) DC neighborhoods of Anacostia, Trinidad, Deanwood (Most wont qualify for FHA financing), a few in Frederick MD, and a few in Baltimore. You might have one offs here and there, for instance one of the only examples of one in College Park just sold.

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the quick response! I understand what you're saying. Just in my search alone, it seems like multi-families are one in a million in our area. For the first-time homeowner who wants to house-hack and start to make his/her home an asset, what strategy would you recommend for our area? (Is there a region of Maryland with duplexes that command higher rent prices, or is multifamily altogether not a viable option in our market?)

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Apr 25 2017, 05:01

SFH, TH, and condos are all more realistic aspirations than MFH.

User Stats

Votes
Tobey Porter
  • Investor
  • Huntingtown, MD
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Huntingtown, MD
Replied Apr 25 2017, 06:28

I live in Calvert County and there is nothing in our area.  From what I can tell you and Russell are correct....they are VERY hard to find in this area.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Michael
  • Lender
  • Frederick/ Falls Church DC, Maryland & Virginia
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Frederick/ Falls Church DC, Maryland & Virginia
Replied Apr 25 2017, 14:20

For Multi's Russell pretty much covered it.  The only place I would add is Carroll County.  There are multi's there, specifically out towards Wesminster and Hampstead area.  

User Stats

Votes
Malcolm Lawson
  • Annapolis, MD
Votes |
  • Annapolis, MD
Replied Apr 25 2017, 18:51

For the most part you see them just outside of DC and Baltimore or across the Bay Bridge in Queen Ann County.  They are pretty rare outside of those areas.  Occasionally you do find them though.

Another option you can pursue is creating your own multi unit.  If you find a home with a basement with it's own entrance or detached garage you could convert into a rental unit.  Sometimes you even find homes with a separate guest house you could rent out.  

User Stats

Votes
Stephen Chittenden
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Gambrills, MD
Votes |
  • Gambrills, MD
Replied Apr 25 2017, 19:11

We had one in Cecil County. There were some others. We just sold it last week. I've never been so happy to get rid of a property. Turned around and bought another single family six days later.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron M.
Pro Member
  • Ellicott City, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Ellicott City, MD
Replied Apr 25 2017, 20:04

Baltimore has a few multi-units on MLS now (or at least as of a couple weeks ago). Many are in tough parts of the city, I believe. That said, I saw a two unit in Parkville (upper NW Baltimore near the Baltimore Cnty line). The neighborhood and property were pleasant. The numbers, however, did not work for me.

User Stats

Votes
Ozzy Sirimsi
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Apr 25 2017, 20:44

in Baltimore city, there are
multi family houses, you can find them, but they are not cheap at all.

Unless, homeowners are sick of dealing with renters, they are holding onto them, cause they make money.

If you are willing to pay the money, you can find them. If I were to house hack, I would pay more and get a multi-unit.