Proud Newbie from PNW Seattle area!

Proud Newbie from PNW Seattle area!

Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes

Hi all! 

I am highly excited to join the Bigger Pockets family!  After reading "The Book on Investing in Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down", "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate investing", "The Book on Flipping Houses", "The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs" "Inspecting a House: a Guide for Buyers, owners, and Renovaters"  and "How to Buy Foreclosures in Washington," I feel like I can answer a paper exam and get a confident 95% or higher,  but when it comes to wanting to take action, I also feel like I now know 73 different ways I COULD approach step 1 (the scenarios and examples in all investment books make it seem so easy)!

I am looking forward to connecting and networking with everyone! My goal is to eventually invest in multifamily units and find amazing investment opportunities in tacoma/Olympia area.  My whole family is military and I am a federal employee that serves as a software engineer for the navy.  As a result, I would love to find properties that could help them out!  I also have a nephew i am 100% invested in, both in academics and sports.  I learned at 30 years of age the importance of providing income and creating wealth for yourself outside of just your job and having multiple streams of income.   I also want to become knowledgable enough to be able to provide education for the youth to let them to do start early!

I cant want to meet you all and learn from experienced and seasoned veterans and hear all of the success stories and failure stories and how you bounced back from them!!

Warm regards,

Kim

1Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Kim Stuart

Welcome to BP.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 87 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    Hi Kim, welcome to BP! Don't let analysis paralysis affect you. Take a leap of faith, make mistakes, and learn from them. Everybody cuts their teeth that way around here. If you want to meet up to chat about real estate in the PNW, I'm in Seattle. Best of luck finding some good deals!

  • Retirement Accounts Attorney · Southfield, MI · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Kim Stuart

    Welcome to BP.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Thanks a lot fort the words of encouragement Edward! You are absolutely right thought and I didnt even realize I was allowing the literature to overwhelm me and put me in analysis paralysis.  There are a couple of real estate investment trainings I have signed up for to sort of tie all this literature together and put it in practical context so I absolutely will be reaching out once i take those trainings put it all together!  Thanks for all the support so early on!  @Edward Seid

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @George Blower thanks for the warm welcome!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    7y

    @Kim Stuart

    Welcome to the BP family! Good to have you here!

    Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Check out BP Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/podcast

    If you wish to tag someone in the conversation on the forum, type @ followed by their name and then select the name of that person which should appear below the comments box. He or she will be notified of being tagged so that the conversation will continue.

    Wishing you the best!

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Dmitriy Fomichenko man I have tried 3 times with mention somebody using @ and names just dont appear but thanks for all of the tips.  The alert feature was one I was unaware of and have already started using because of you.  Thanks a lot!

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Kim Stuart

    Welcome to BP! I recently did my first BRRRR in Tacoma. Definitely still deals out there. Good luck in your journey!

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Nate Stokes  Thanks a lot for the encouragement!!  Just hearing a success story means a lot to me at this point.  Its nice hearing about all these "purchased for $47,000, put in $12,000 in rehab and sold for $116,000" stories in every example in every book i have read, but I am willing to bet that that isn't necessarily how the Tacoma market quite works hahaha!  Looking at our market prices was a little intimidating at first, and after reading book after book and comparing it to our market gave me much analysis paralysis (as @Edward Seid so accurately point out to me!).  But hearing the success stories of investors in my area in itself from this bp community have given me more confidence and motivation to "just do it" than any book I have read!  Thank you all again and I WILL be bugging you all (not with there not being anything in it for you) very soon!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Kim Stuart I fell into the analysis paralysis trap for a while then decided to pull the trigger. Found a great 1st project, not too big and I did most of the rehab work myself. I didn't consider myself knowledgeable or handy enough to do the project, but I made it happen and now I have a ton of new knowledge and skills to do my next project. Your first project does not need to be a home run. Don't get caught up in the theoretical numbers. Follow the process, put together a good team, and put together your processes.  I plan to do it all over again once I refi in the fall. 

    I worked with HeatonDainard, but do what works best for you. 

  • New to Real Estate · Puyallup WA · Member since 2009 · 85 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    @Kim Stuart

    Welcome to BP!!

    There is plenty of info to be soaked up all around this site.

    Hit up the meet up next Thursday in Tacoma if your free, the info should be on the events page.

    Good Luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2016 · 545 posts · 252 votes
    7y

    @Kim Stuart Welcome aboard. 

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Kenny C. Thanks for the heads up Kenny!  I didn't even know about that until now.  I will be sure to look into that!

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    @Jameson Sullivan Thanks for the warm welcome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 383 posts · 248 votes
    7y

    welcome! I have a few multi families in Tacoma. Let me know if you’d like to connect or chat or have any questions. Cheers. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 515 votes
    7y

    Hey there, @Kim Stuart. Great to see you take that first and maybe most difficult step in real estate investment: reaching out on BiggerPockets. Congratulations and I wish you a ton of success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.