Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Member Introductions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Fred Haas
Pro Member
Votes |
Allow me to introduce myself, Central Texas Sustainable Developer

Fred Haas
Pro Member
Posted

Hey All,

I have a background in Civil Engineering working for around 40 years doing land development, floodplains, and waste management work, among other things. I stopped for a while to do life coaching and energy work, and then I met a guy who was a broker that wanted to get more into the development side so we teamed up with his dad, a lawyer, and started up.

As things have progressed, I am now finding lots of deals, and as it turns out, the guy I am working with is not really delivering the investors like he said he could/would so I am learning that part of the process now too as most of my deals sit quietly on the sidelines. I'm getting too old to wait, so if I have to take things in my own hands, I will.

Here is the caveat, I came back to do this because I am extremely passionate about sustainable development, net-zero carbon, thermal mass, compressed earth block, rammed earth, hempcrete and others with all the add-ons like rainwater collection, solar and permaculture. I'd be surprised if there is a sustainable builder in Texas that I have not at least talked to, if I don't actually know them.

I am trying to develop projects that allow these folks to showcase their work so people may discover that they can live in healthy, efficient, comfortable, forever homes that don't burn,  and are insect proof and mold free. 

Besides the funding for the subdivisions or site developments, we need funding for the builders to take down lots and build. They are transitioning from the custom home model to a spec home subdivision model. While this is exciting and opens the door to opportunity, they really need investors to make the shift since they aren't used to buying the land and funding the build without the buyer already in tow.

So I have an abundance of deals to do basically those parts, either develop subdivisions with all the horizontal infrastructure and sell lots, or fund builders spec homes in these developments, preferably all sustainable because a known stick builder can come in and build without any help.

So if any of this interests you or you think I would be someone you want to know, drop me a message and we can talk all about it. I am an introvert and an engineer so talking is not my thing, but I love talking about this.

Also, I'm not sure this is the site for this kind of development project since most everything I see is flips and rentals, although funding a custom build is basically flipping a brand new sustainable home.

All the best!

User Stats

Votes
Kristi Kandel
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Fort Myers Beach, FL
Replied
Quote from @Fred Haas:

Hey All,

I have a background in Civil Engineering working for around 40 years doing land development, floodplains, and waste management work, among other things. I stopped for a while to do life coaching and energy work, and then I met a guy who was a broker that wanted to get more into the development side so we teamed up with his dad, a lawyer, and started up.

As things have progressed, I am now finding lots of deals, and as it turns out, the guy I am working with is not really delivering the investors like he said he could/would so I am learning that part of the process now too as most of my deals sit quietly on the sidelines. I'm getting too old to wait, so if I have to take things in my own hands, I will.

Here is the caveat, I came back to do this because I am extremely passionate about sustainable development, net-zero carbon, thermal mass, compressed earth block, rammed earth, hempcrete and others with all the add-ons like rainwater collection, solar and permaculture. I'd be surprised if there is a sustainable builder in Texas that I have not at least talked to, if I don't actually know them.

I am trying to develop projects that allow these folks to showcase their work so people may discover that they can live in healthy, efficient, comfortable, forever homes that don't burn,  and are insect proof and mold free. 

Besides the funding for the subdivisions or site developments, we need funding for the builders to take down lots and build. They are transitioning from the custom home model to a spec home subdivision model. While this is exciting and opens the door to opportunity, they really need investors to make the shift since they aren't used to buying the land and funding the build without the buyer already in tow.

So I have an abundance of deals to do basically those parts, either develop subdivisions with all the horizontal infrastructure and sell lots, or fund builders spec homes in these developments, preferably all sustainable because a known stick builder can come in and build without any help.

So if any of this interests you or you think I would be someone you want to know, drop me a message and we can talk all about it. I am an introvert and an engineer so talking is not my thing, but I love talking about this.

Also, I'm not sure this is the site for this kind of development project since most everything I see is flips and rentals, although funding a custom build is basically flipping a brand new sustainable home.

All the best!

@Fred Haas unfortunately I've heard that story too many times over the past 17 years. There's a saying in the industry that 85-92% of the "developers" out there don't really know what they are doing. 

The catch is that deals take years so it's easy to make excuses that people accept. And you can get really lucky with market cycles and while you maybe let a couple million go from your profit there's still a lot of upside and developers could still make millions and call the project a win. 

It's honestly part of the reason why I developed our Local Real Estate Developer™ course. We empower local entrepreneurs and investors to transform underutilized properties into awesome community assets that benefit all.

I love your why and totally get the introvert/engineer comment too ;) It's very common amongst the civil engineers (and entire design team) that I hire on deals. 

When you have a good deal you'll get the funding. It's just a matter of putting the right team of strategic partners and equity/debt partners together in your capital stack to make the deal work!

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Fred Haas:

Hey All,

All the best!

as someone who sells land And entitles land to institutional level players not one cares about sustainability especially in Texas. you can't change the market. I'd change the business plan and pick profit over passion but that's just me 

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.