• Woodside, NY
Votes |
FHA 203K Loan and Geodesic Dome

Celeste Rosario
  • Investor
  • Woodside, NY
Posted Sep 6 2021, 11:55

Hi All, 

My partner and I are planning to buy a land to use for geodesic dome short term rentals. We found a land with a small house but it needs renovation so I'm thinking to avail the FHA 203k loan. Is it possible to put up a geodesic loan on a fha 203k property? We are also planning to take out personal loans on the dome which is about 100K.

User Stats

Votes
Teri Feeney Styers
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Grand Junction, CO
Replied Sep 7 2021, 12:56

@Celeste Rosario One of you must live in a property as your primary residence if you want any type of FHA loan. I am not a lender - but in theory you can borrow to add a garage, or unit, etc. However, I believe you are limited to 50% of the cost of the property for the rehab dollars. Any lenders out there that can weigh in on this?

User Stats

Votes
Paul Welden
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tempe, AZ
Replied Sep 7 2021, 19:18

@Celeste Rosario

I believe that a Geodesic Dome is NOT eligible for a 203k loan. Reference HUD SFH 4000.1.

However, you could buy the existing property that has a residential structure using a 203k loan and use other $$$ (not 203k loan) for the geodesic dome. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.