Hudson Valley Vacation Rental

Hudson Valley Vacation Rental

Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes

I'm trying to decide where to invest my money. I'm torn between investing in a traditional multi-family rental property in the Philadelphia or purchasing a vacation rental in the Catskills or the Hudson Valley.  I've had rental properties in the past and rely on cap rates to typically understand what I will make. However, a vacation rental property is new territory for me.  

I have a few friends who have purchased properties in the Hudson Valley.  One friend told me he breaks even on his property but doesn't really make money. His house is near Hudson and he does a bulk of his rentals in the summer.  Another friend told me he makes between $70-$80K each year off of his rental property, however, he has a very, very nice home with 6 bedrooms, a sauna, a lake and it's near Hunter ski mountain so he pretty much gets year-round rentals. His POV is you have to make a home a dream home with high design touches to get repeat visitors (which I agree). He also thinks being close to a ski mountain is important but unsure if you could be profitable if not near a ski mountain. 

My question is, what are the essentials to having a successful vacation rental property in the Hudson Valley or Catskills? Are there areas I should focus on? Is being close a ski mountain essential?  Could we buy near Hudson (not near a ski mountain) and still plan to make money or am I lucky if I just break even?  What do people typically make off vacation properties in these areas (know it's impossible to account for all factors)?  

My wife and I plan on using the property so selfishly, I'd prefer a vacation rental over a traditional rental in another city.  We also like the east side of the Hudson more because of train access and overall it seems a little nicer and closer to towns. However, I'm not opposed to the Catskills, especially, if I could turn a better profit. 

1Reply
39 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    8y

    There are a TON of AirBnB's in Hudson. I can't tell you how well they do, but Hudson is always packed and the people coming in to the city need somewhere to stay. Housing prices are pretty high, though. Most people rent out rooms in their homes or converted their alley garages into rooms/apartments. Hudson also has a "lodging tax" on STR.

    I live in the village of Catskill and I keep hearing how it's "up and coming." I haven't quite seen it. Housing prices are cheaper than Hudson. I had thought about looking into STR around me, but I'm a little risk adverse so I haven't pursued anything yet.

  • Property Manager · NY · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hi Ryan,

    Just curious to see which direction you went here as I am currently debating a similar situation. STR near Hunter/Windham Mountain vs. multifamily right outside of Philly.

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y

    He is unlikely to see your query after a year

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Especially since he only made one post.

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Cohen:

    Hi Ryan,

    Just curious to see which direction you went here as I am currently debating a similar situation. STR near Hunter/Windham Mountain vs. multifamily right outside of Philly.

    Hey Daniel! I'm still here and got an alert about this thread. I actually went with Hudson Valley STR.... Financially, an easier decision would be rental in philly. It's easier to turn an immediate profit and know exactly what you'll make. With the STR we likely won't break even with rental income from the house alone in first year or two but for us the emotional benefit made up the difference. The STR is something we can use / enjoy and also gives us a creative outlet of sorts. We bought 25+ acres so the hope is we can turn it into something more to gain additional income in the next couple of years . We're looking at building campsites, converting a barn into additional rental space, weddings, etc.... It's a lot more work which can be enjoyable but sometimes stressful. You have to not only maintain the property but furnish the property too. I'd say if you're into DIY, a creative individual with a strong vision, have a tolerance for risk, have time / money to put into the investment, and finally want a place that you'll enjoy then go STR. If you want stability, less hassle / work and break it down to more of a science (calculating cap rates, ROI, etc...) then go Philly rental. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Hope that helps and happy to answer any other questions!

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    One other note..... being near Hunter mountain gives you additional winter income so consider that as well!

  • Property Manager · NY · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the info Ryan! My dad used to own a property in Hunter and he rented it our often so that's definitely why I like the mountain area STR upside.

    So cool to hear that you jumped into to something and it sounds like you've got a vision for it. Good luck and hopefully I can circle back here to update you on my progress.

  • Westchester County, NY · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hey @Ryan Enoch. Congratulations on your success. We are considering purchasing a short term rental in the Hudson Valley also. How did you find your property? Thanks

  • Real Estate Agent · Chester, NY · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Enoch

    The Hudson Valley is filled with a good amount of things to do! It’s found to be popular for weddings for city folk, the Delaware River is always popular in the summer. Beacon has proven to be a go-to spot for weekenders. Hunter, Gore, Windham and other ski mountains should be a good bet in the winter and now that they are getting more active year-round, that should round out your reservations.

    The Hudson Valley Wine Trail and the multiple breweries in the HV are drawing people in from all over. Maybe tie yourself in with some breweries and see which tour companies are making frequent trips there. Become the destination overnight for wine and brewery hoppers.

    The HV also has a good amount of farm land, with the federally protected black dirt region, that seems to be the rustic “look” most breweries are going for up here. You provide a place for people to enjoy their full weekend in it.

    Just some ideas, I wish all the best in your success!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.