Average Cleaning & Handyman Expenses

Average Cleaning & Handyman Expenses

New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 178 posts · 69 votes

Imagine I have an STR in Texas that is 4 BR with 5 bathrooms. Let's say I hope to have at least 3 turns a month.

How much should I expect to pay on average for monthly cleaning and maintenance/handyman?

Also, is it unwise to rely on a home warranty plan for unexpected breakdowns when managing an STR?


- Kwanza 

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
1y

This varies greatly depending on the area and individual cleaner. You will have to shop around.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 57 votes
    1y

    Hi Kwanza!

    Cleaning and maintenance prices vary market to market. I have no idea how much you would spend month to month on maintenance. That's dependent on the age of the home, are you geared towards families with kids or more of an older crowd, and other factors. It's really hard to plan that out. You can call other owners in your area and see how much they're paying, but even then its not going to be the same as what you'd pay with your specific property under your management and care. I put aside 3%-5%of revenue for maintenance depending on the age of the home. <10 years =closer to 3% and >10 years I'll do closer to 5%

    I'm hesitant with warranty plans. With my experience they don't go on a timeline, it's always taken weeks to get anything fixed, and usually requires more than one visit to get the issues fixed. With STRs you need problems fixed fast and on the first visit. Warranty plans don't play that game. 

    Cleaning costs also varies market to market. My gut reaction say $300+ a turn but I really have no idea. Best thing to do is go on Airbnb and see what similar houses in your market are charging for a cleaning fee. That'll give you the best estimates. 

    hope this helps! Good luck with your investment! 

  • New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 178 posts · 69 votes
    1y

    Thanks Joseph - that does help!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    This varies greatly depending on the area and individual cleaner. You will have to shop around.

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I don't think you'll find it cost effective to do a long-term warranty plan, if you can find one. They are a nice bargaining chip to purchase for a new buyer coming into a home and wants piece of mind for a year. Budget 5% of the gross receipts for maintenance, 5% for cap ex. Cleaning is variable per your area. Call around and get quotes.

  • Developer · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 812 posts · 718 votes
    1y

    Cleaning in Cali can be between $350-$500.  Perhaps, if you get someone new or isn't as busy, but you promise them a lot of work; it could be cheaper.  We do cleans all the time, and its $300 for a one bed, $450 for a two bed and $600.00 for a whole house, with a basement.  Don't just shop around for price, shop around for quality.  No sense in having to do the work twice.

    Handymen, usually around $125+. 

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    On average for a 4 bedroom house we are paying around $225 + $75 or so for professional linen for about $300 in FL.  Maintenance for the average aged home in my market +/- 50 years in decent shape I usually budget $400-600 per month which includes replacement items.  Again this can vary wildly based on the property and market specifics.

  • Member since 2024 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    1y

    In the Portland, Oregon market we expect to pay $200-$350 for a turn cleaning depending on condition. We pay around $84/hr for high-quality maintenance techs that get in and get out to get it back on the market ASAP. Typically, turn maintenance costs around $450-$1500 depending on severity. We have a few turns a month that are pretty bad and cost over $1500 to complete. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    Hey @Kwanza P., so this is a tough question as you can see. It is going to depend on where you are located and what what kind of issue needs to be resolved.

    I will say that you can reduce the repair numbers by keeping up on maintenance. Get a service contract for the hard systems like furnace, A/C, water heater etc. We have ours serviced 2x a year and it costs about $200 a year. Cheap to keep anything from happening.

    • New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 178 posts · 69 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Michael Baum:

      Hey @Kwanza P., so this is a tough question as you can see. It is going to depend on where you are located and what what kind of issue needs to be resolved.

      I will say that you can reduce the repair numbers by keeping up on maintenance. Get a service contract for the hard systems like furnace, A/C, water heater etc. We have ours serviced 2x a year and it costs about $200 a year. Cheap to keep anything from happening.

      Thanks Michael, what types of companies offer these types of services contracts ?
    • Michael BaumPro Member
      Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kwanza P.:
      Thanks Michael, what types of companies offer these types of services contracts ?
      So you just need to get with a local HVAC company. Many will have a monthly service contract with service and filters included. Ours is 18 a month I think. 

      With the water heater, you can just pay for service 1x a year I think. My HVAC company does plumbing as well so I have them do the tank at the same time as the fall service.
    • New to Real Estate · Bay Area California · Member since 2022 · 178 posts · 69 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Michael Baum:
      Quote from @Kwanza P.:
      Thanks Michael, what types of companies offer these types of services contracts ?
      So you just need to get with a local HVAC company. Many will have a monthly service contract with service and filters included. Ours is 18 a month I think. 

      With the water heater, you can just pay for service 1x a year I think. My HVAC company does plumbing as well so I have them do the tank at the same time as the fall service.
      Thanks for the tips Michael!
  • Josh SedivyBusiness Member
    St. Louis, MO · Member since 2024 · 134 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    For a 4-bedroom, 5-bathroom short-term rental in Texas, your monthly cleaning and maintenance costs can vary depending on several factors such as the level of service, and the quality of the professionals you hire. As for home warranties, they can be useful for major breakdowns but have limitations like service fees and exclusions.

    We use Safely for insurance which have coverage for damages, and helps protect the property.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Kwanza P. I’ve paid personally $650 for my own 3/3 but we usually budget $125-180 for our 1-2 bedroom units with lesser known cleaners. For something as big as a 4/5 id expect to pay $500+.

    I’ve been paying my WONDERFUL handyman about $50/hr. Based on a flat rate fee. I feel there’s months he makes out and there’s months I make out.

    For the record we’re not in the same page and he believes he’s being paid $30/hr and has asked for a raise based on the months where there’s more work.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.