Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Mike Francis
Votes |
Market and listing analysis

Mike Francis
Posted May 22 2024, 21:27

Where can one learn a systematic way to evaluate markets and properties for STR? It feels like information overload!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 23 2024, 05:27
Quote from @Mike Francis:

Where can one learn a systematic way to evaluate markets and properties for STR? It feels like information overload!

Check out YouTube videos or podcasts from Dave Meyers.

Read "Long Distance Real Estate Investing" by David Greene.

Don't expect to absorb everything in one sitting. It takes time to read, absorb, and put into practice.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 23 2024, 06:18

This new post would be very helpful for you to read....

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/530/topics/1191880-how-...

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ian Tyndall
  • Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Glen Allen, VA
Replied May 23 2024, 08:31

Mike, 

I would be happy to help you with any analysis you are doing and share my perspective and data access.  This is both an art and a science as they say.  The data help with the science part, but the art comes from your design vision and connections with people in market who can give you information about the areas where you are interested in investing.

I have used a lot of tools, and right now I am using AirDNA and BNBCalc to get different data driven views on properties.  Happy to run numbers for you with these tools and give you my $0.02!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 23 2024, 09:22

I agree with Ian above, this is an art and a science.  I use AirDNA to evaluate properties and markets.  First with the market, it gives good macrodata.  From there you can drill down on properties that would be in your range and use the platforms like Airbnb to check on the health etc.  The art is seeing if you can do the same if not better than what the average people are doing in that market.  Also, thinking outside of the box can help avoid issues.  For example, I remember Boise was all the rage during COVID.  A lot of people bought thinking it would continue to grow and prosper.  The reality ended up being it was a fad market, people went there because social distancing was easy and it was a new place to explore.  The novelty wore off after COVID and their market crashed.  That is why I like to invest in markets that have a track record of success.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Francis
Votes |
Replied May 23 2024, 09:28

Thanks Nathan. That one has been on my list for awhile. I will move it to the top!

User Stats

Votes
Molly Arnott
Agent
  • Investor
  • Meridian, ID
Votes |
Agent
  • Investor
  • Meridian, ID
Replied May 23 2024, 15:48

@Andrew Steffens not sure where you're getting your data but the Boise market has not crashed. It's an incredibly thriving market. Not a cash flowing market anymore because we've appreciated so much and continue to do so!

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 24 2024, 06:27
Quote from @Molly Arnott:

@Andrew Steffens not sure where you're getting your data but the Boise market has not crashed. It's an incredibly thriving market. Not a cash flowing market anymore because we've appreciated so much and continue to do so!

Perhaps I am wrong, I had read quite a few articles like this one:

https://www.veros.com/the-rise-and-fall-of-the-boise-housing...

User Stats

Votes
Mike Francis
Votes |
Replied May 24 2024, 14:20
Quote from @Ian Tyndall:

Mike, 

I would be happy to help you with any analysis you are doing and share my perspective and data access.  This is both an art and a science as they say.  The data help with the science part, but the art comes from your design vision and connections with people in market who can give you information about the areas where you are interested in investing.

I have used a lot of tools, and right now I am using AirDNA and BNBCalc to get different data driven views on properties.  Happy to run numbers for you with these tools and give you my $0.02!

Thanks Ian! I might take you up on that.  I do subscribe to AirDNA but not on their enterprise membership.  I assume it must be pretty pricey if they won't even advertise the subscription cost.  I don't have the capitol right now to spend a ton of money on software.

User Stats

Votes
Mike Francis
Votes |
Replied May 24 2024, 14:22
Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

This new post would be very helpful for you to read....

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/530/topics/1191880-how-...

Thank you Sarah.  I will give it a look!

User Stats

Votes
Preston Morrison
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied May 24 2024, 15:02

If you need a direct hands-on approach to evaluating deals or lead generation, lets connect and I can help you build out the Perfect System