Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Oregon & California Coasts
Votes |
How accurate are AirDNA estimates & calculators for STR's?

AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Posted

Not a day goes by when a vacation rental investor does not ask: "How accurate are AirDNA rentalizer estimates and projections for short term vacation rentals?" 

The simple answer is highly accurate..A recent CBRE report on the accuracy of AirDNA date found it to be 97.5% accurate in reporting active supply of vacation rentals. That same report found data to be 96.2% accurate. 

Here on the Oregon Coast, I would attest to that accuracy based on the review of hundreds of financial statements for active oregon coast vacation rentals and the performance of nearly two dozen STR investors and operators we've helped acquire properties within the past three years.

In fact, AirDNA is so accurate that many lenders will now accept a AirDNA estimate (for non-declining markets) as evidence of sufficient qualifying income on many DSCR (Debt Service Coverage Ratio) loans and mortgages. That's a good example of a 'healthy' mortgage market albeit fairly astonishing that banks would consider the revenue data accurate and consistent enough to lend on. For lenders/banks, quality vacation rentals are clearly a unique and reliably performing asset class..

For investment properties these lenders typically require a minimum 20-25% down payment but since there is higher gross revenue, the investor can often qualify for a higher loan amount. Most allow gifted funds for the down payment as well as seller concessions of 2%. The majority of STR properties in Oregon fall within the loan limits of up to $2-3M depending on the property type. Loan programs that utilize AirDNA income projections to qualify can also be utilized for cash out refinances (if not currently operated as an AirBNB) although some lenders have a maximum cash in hand of $500k-$1M typically at a lower loan to Value of 65-75% for investment property vacation rentals.

I advise clients not to solely rely on AirDNA data for performance analysis as there can be some variation based on amenities such as hot tubs, premium decor and design and general operational excellence. Operators that are open and able to offer combined usages for slower seasons, such as mid term discounted extended stay rates in the winter, can improve lower estimated production in the off-seasons. 

It is good practice in assessing STR potential and performance by combining personal research and rental experiences (rates and dates) with at least one local reputable Property Management company rental revenue estimate.

Is AirDNA accurate in your area? 

Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Moyer
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Orlando Kissimmee, Davenport
Replied

If I pull up my market in AirDNA, and scroll down in the comps to find my actual house, the revenue it says I'm making is not very accurate compared to the revenue I'm actually making.  On all of my properties.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied

I've heard many people say the same as Ryan, that Airdna has been way off.

I recommend people take a few minutes and manually check their competition to get the most accurate analysis. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Shannon Strickland
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Virginia
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Virginia
Replied

John Bianchi has a very helpful free course on YouTube that taught me how to identify good data amid bad data. I can't recommend his content enough.

User Stats

Votes
Carleen Murone
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

My experience in SWFL, based on comparing occupancy rates the calculators report, with actual operators and STR property managers is that the nightly rates are pretty accurate but the actual % occupancy is not. This is because many fill last minute rentals in downtimes with private rentals or through FaceBook groups, etc, which aren't showing up in the reports. I believe the harder you work to keep it occupied the more occupied it will be.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied

So long as most of the bookings come from VRBO or Airbnb the data is pretty close! But for those listed on other sites as well as Airbnb and VRBO it can be a little off. I have found that those with the proper knowledge in how the software works, and of course know how to use the software, would agree with your post, including myself! 

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied

Hi AJ, 

AirDNA data is a great reference for investors / buyers to analyze how a property performs. 

Its real-time data, tailored for short-term rentals, offers an accurate assessment of a property’s income potential.  The data on the report surpasses the traditional 1004 appraisal.  

DSCR / Investor loans, focus on the property's income potential rather than the borrower's personal income. Lenders and borrowers can benefit significantly using the detailed and market-specific data that AirDNA provides to make an informed decision on a property.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Tampa, FL
Replied

It can be very accurate in areas with a lot of mostly uniform properties.  If you run a 3/2 pool home in Largo, FL - It will almost always be accurate as I can check the numbers against properties I manage.  If you have a unique property somewhere with less comps, it will likely be useless in my experience.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @AJ Wong:

Not a day goes by when a vacation rental investor does not ask: "How accurate are AirDNA rentalizer estimates and projections for short term vacation rentals?" 

The simple answer is highly accurate..A recent CBRE report on the accuracy of AirDNA date found it to be 97.5% accurate in reporting active supply of vacation rentals. That same report found data to be 96.2% accurate. 

Here on the Oregon Coast, I would attest to that accuracy based on the review of hundreds of financial statements for active oregon coast vacation rentals and the performance of nearly two dozen STR investors and operators we've helped acquire properties within the past three years.

In fact, AirDNA is so accurate that many lenders will now accept a AirDNA estimate (for non-declining markets) as evidence of sufficient qualifying income on many DSCR (Debt Service Coverage Ratio) loans and mortgages. That's a good example of a 'healthy' mortgage market albeit fairly astonishing that banks would consider the revenue data accurate and consistent enough to lend on. For lenders/banks, quality vacation rentals are clearly a unique and reliably performing asset class..

For investment properties these lenders typically require a minimum 20-25% down payment but since there is higher gross revenue, the investor can often qualify for a higher loan amount. Most allow gifted funds for the down payment as well as seller concessions of 2%. The majority of STR properties in Oregon fall within the loan limits of up to $2-3M depending on the property type. Loan programs that utilize AirDNA income projections to qualify can also be utilized for cash out refinances (if not currently operated as an AirBNB) although some lenders have a maximum cash in hand of $500k-$1M typically at a lower loan to Value of 65-75% for investment property vacation rentals.

I advise clients not to solely rely on AirDNA data for performance analysis as there can be some variation based on amenities such as hot tubs, premium decor and design and general operational excellence. Operators that are open and able to offer combined usages for slower seasons, such as mid term discounted extended stay rates in the winter, can improve lower estimated production in the off-seasons. 

It is good practice in assessing STR potential and performance by combining personal research and rental experiences (rates and dates) with at least one local reputable Property Management company rental revenue estimate.

I feel it's quite accurate, even if it doesn't have 100% reliability. You can't base all your work on AirDNA, but it's a great tool for making parallels and getting estimates with a percentage margin of error.

User Stats

Votes
Replied
Quote from @John Underwood:

I've heard many people say the same as Ryan, that Airdna has been way off.

I recommend people take a few minutes and manually check their competition to get the most accurate analysis. 

It's the ideal thing to do if you need a very precise analysis, but I think AirDNA is still a nice tool to make parallels with a larger margin of error, even if you don't know much about marketing or any other more complex tools!

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I don't rely on it.  Many of the "comps" in my market are not really comps.  Lots of properties that are 2nd homes, self-managed by owners who are just hoping to make a few extra bucks, not running a serious business.  Substantial owner use during peak periods.  Also, dozens of properties that have been vacation rentals for 40+ years and not listed on AirBnB or VRBO.  Still bookable only via local property managers.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffrey N beasley
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied
Quote from @AJ Wong:

Is this an ad?

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied

Airdna is about as accurate as CarFax.

BAM Capital  logo
BAM Capital
|
Sponsored
Your Path to Generational Wealth We offer wealth-building and income-producing real estate opportunities for accredited investors.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Watson
  • Investor
  • Florida
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Florida
Replied

I would say AirDNA is accurate as much as a weatherman.  On my own properties they are 50% accurate and off by over 50% on others. I contend the more people push for direct bookings the harder for AirDNA to account for it and as said above they have no way to account for uniqueness (location, amenities, build). So my 5 bedroom new construction on top of the mountain with phenomenal views is lumped in with a 30 yr old 5 bedroom 1/4 mile away in the valley surrounded by trees.  

User Stats

Votes
Mya Toohey
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Replied

I am agent and host in the Largo/Clearwater/Tampa area.  I found that when I used AirDNA that my numbers were better than the projected.  You have to market the property on social media sites and direct booking helps.  I used Hostaway and it raised my bookings by 30% as well.

User Stats

Votes
KiKi Wood
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied

I agree with what is said above! I have found it to be great for estimates for clients, but to really get accurate data you have to dive into the competition's numbers. I really do like AirDNA though, I just don't trust it blindly! :)

User Stats

Votes
Replied

I believe there is value in these online, in the sense that I would use them as one tool and not ignore them.  However, When I punch in my rental some of them are somewhat close, and some wildly off.  Rabbu has my market at about 50% of what it should be for instance.

But I think between using all the tools, talking to STR friendly realtors, the enemy method, etc.....one can get fairly close

User Stats

Votes
Replied

AJ, any input on the daily rates in AirDNA? I'm performing an analysis right now and gathering data on top-performing properties I admire in the area. One issue... The daily rates AirDNA posts are different from what's on Airbnb/Vrbo.

For example, my neighbor's listing. AirDNA claims they have a daily rate of around $555. However, on Vrbo or Airbnb the property is listed at around $245 per night. Have you run into that discrepancy? Am I missing something?

User Stats

Votes
AJ Wong
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
Replied
Quote from @Ryan Thoma:

AJ, any input on the daily rates in AirDNA? I'm performing an analysis right now and gathering data on top-performing properties I admire in the area. One issue... The daily rates AirDNA posts are different from what's on Airbnb/Vrbo.

For example, my neighbor's listing. AirDNA claims they have a daily rate of around $555. However, on Vrbo or Airbnb the property is listed at around $245 per night. Have you run into that discrepancy? Am I missing something?

Yes especially if privately managed it won’t reflect.  
Fathom Realty  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Carleen Murone
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied
Quote from @AJ Wong:
Quote from @Ryan Thoma:

Yes especially if privately managed it won’t reflect.  

Does the market have significant seasonality?  For example here in SWFL this is our slowest month so the nightly rates right now are much lower than the high season.  The $555 might be an average?

User Stats

Votes
Adrian Clapp
Pro Member
  • Scituate, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Scituate, MA
Replied

AirDNA data does not account for "discounting" by hosts.  In over-saturated areas like Scottsdale, hosts are often asked by guests to discount their nightly rates (especially for extended stays) and many hosts accept the discounted rates because they know that if they deny the request, the guest will simply book with a different host that will extend a discount.  If AirDNA sees a property is "booked", it just takes the number of dates booked and uses the list rate.  I confirmed this issue with AirDNA data with the AirDNA team at their 2023 BPCon booth.