Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
Colorado to tax STRs as commercial properties?

James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
Posted

Do you own a vacation rental or STR in Colorado? Your property taxes might be going up if a new plan passes.

The legislative proposal -- which passed a key legislative hurdle yesterday -- would classify short-term rentals rented for more than 90 days per year as commercial property for property tax purposes. The current residential property tax rate is just above 6.7%. Commercial property tax rate is 27.9%. So, you know, that's a bit higher. 

I've been suspect of this proposal passing in the past. (See my reaction just a few weeks ago here.) But I may have underestimated the growing support it's garnered. The proposal just passed the Legislative Oversight Committee Concerning Tax Policy and will go to the full legislature in January. In the past, the proposal always died in this committee. 

I'm torn on this. Philosophically, it makes sense to me that a full-time Airbnb rental can be seen as a commercial lodging business. On the other hand, the vast majority of people doing STRs are little guys, and there are so many tax loopholes for big business. It seems like we could cut the small guy some slack here. Oh, finally, the investor with one or two properties found a way to get ahead a little bit and now they're going to tax them into oblivion? 

Again, this has a ways to go in the legislature, but if you're in Denver or Colorado Springs or, hell, anywhere in Colorado, now might be the time to make your voice heard. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied

Not going to invest in CO. Time to get out.

User Stats

Votes
Zach Edelman
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Great and very informative forum. Thank you for posting this!

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
Replied

A quick update here. Seems like the backlash to the Colorado STR taxation bill is already having some effect. This story on a local CBS station has a couple interesting notes:

-- The bill sponsor seems to say that he is trying to combat hotels that converted to "residential" for tax purposes. (If that's all he's after, that is a totally different thing that taxing all vacation rentals in Colorado at commercial rates. I suspect a journalistic edit might have given the wrong impression. I think the sponsor still wants to tax a lot of short-term rentals that way too.)

-- Everyone is already talking about amendments to the bill, including the sponsor. What those are? We don't know. Seems like a couple avenues are: 1. changing the threshold for triggering commercial taxation. The bill currently says any home rented on as an STR for 90 days ore more is subject to the commercial tax rate. Maybe they raise that to 180 or 240 or something2. Having some middle tier of tax rate between the 6.7% residential and 27.9%

-- I think the fear among STR owners in Colorado is that unlike similar bills in previous years, this one has the support of several county governments. The thinking goes, then, that legislators representing those counties would follow suit when voting. But at least the one state senator they interview, a Democrat representing Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs and other mountain areas, said he doesn't support the bill as written.

-- In this other recent story, there's another bill proposed that would allow for every Coloradoans to have one STR at the residential rate.

I'll be watching this closely. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Great post! thank you for sharing. Wonder if that means folks with REPS can invest here to get credit towards their qualification