Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Robert Saulnier
Votes |
Bunk Rooms - are they legal?

Robert Saulnier
Posted Mar 2 2023, 10:49

Considering investing in property where I would like to get more "heads in beds" by adding a "bunk room" in the basement. This is based off a house on 4 bedroom septic which has 4 legal bed rooms. There is a finished basement and bonus room above the garage, I've been to many rentals that advertise 4 beds but sleeps 16, you go down in the basement and there are like 14 beds down there. What is the legality of this? Where is the risk not worth taking when adding beds to certain areas/rooms? 

I can't find any documentation online that really tackles this question. Trying to do everything by the book is pretty difficult but I also don't want to put any investments at risk. 

User Stats

Votes
Robert Saulnier
Votes |
Replied Mar 2 2023, 10:59

"bunk rooms are not defined in our ordinance, nor are bedrooms. It specifically refers to “sleeping Facilities.” There are no exemption in our ordinance or in Building Code that I’m aware of stating that it’s not a bedroom if it doesn’t have a closet. I believe this to be a real estate or tax assessing definition. This Office’s interpretation of the intent of the ordinance is, and has been, that “Sleeping Facilities” refers to any room where the intent is for people to sleep." 

- response from code enforcement 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 2 2023, 11:21

Hey @Robert Saulnier, I don't think there is a real restriction on something like this. Our lake house has a bunk room on the lower level. It is open to the outside by a door and a full egress window.

So I think the main thing to worry about is egress. Can someone (a kid) get out of a window or another way right from the room. I wouldn't make a sleeping area without proper egress.

The next thing is of course the septic. A 4 bedroom septic is pretty large. You probably could get away with adding a few bunks if you setup septic pumping more often. 2x a year maybe?

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied Mar 2 2023, 11:22

I am not in the 'heads-in-beds' camp. You're just asking for trouble.....more people = more parties, period.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied Mar 2 2023, 11:24
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Hey @Robert Saulnier, I don't think there is a real restriction on something like this. Our lake house has a bunk room on the lower level. It is open to the outside by a door and a full egress window.

So I think the main thing to worry about is egress. Can someone (a kid) get out of a window or another way right from the room. I wouldn't make a sleeping area without proper egress.

The next thing is of course the septic. A 4 bedroom septic is pretty large. You probably could get away with adding a few bunks if you setup septic pumping more often. 2x a year maybe?

I was thinking the same thing, Egress.

This is where your liability lies in my opinion.  If something where to happen people would need a safe a proper exit to evacuate.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Schrader
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Dakota
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • South Dakota
Replied Mar 2 2023, 11:26

I 2nd the egress window thing- make sure people can get out of a window if the basement door is blocked (fire), I'd also make sure to have a smoke detector installed and just for added extra maybe a fire extinguisher?  Otherwise if there's no restriction on it, I'd probably go for it if it makes sense in your rental market.  I live in an area that does similar, lots of "heads in beds" renting around Sturgis Motorcycle rally time.  Seems to work out for those involved.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 2 2023, 14:40

I personally would reconsider the "more heads in beds". We have noticed a few things when doing that:

1.) More likely a party house and ultimately your neighbors hate you

2.) Somebody in that large group will be a Karen or overly picky (ie pictures of a dust bunny in a closet) and then all of a sudden the booking becomes very needy and the guest will feel like they are entitled to $ off.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 2 2023, 16:12

I personally don't worry about parties as we vet each and every guest. No instant booking and we cater to families specifically so those bunks get used all the time by kids. Sometimes adults.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Porter
  • Insurance Agent
  • all 50 states
Votes |
  • Insurance Agent
  • all 50 states
Replied Mar 2 2023, 17:39

In my 1st STR we had a bunk room and it was awesome. All of our guests raved how great it was for kids, and just extra beds. We stocked it with a bunch of extra pillows, and sheets so that kids could make play forts, went to thrift stores and bought a huge assortment of children's books and had toys for various ranges of kids including things like corn hole, frisbees, soccer balls, and a wiffle ball set. We didn't do baseball because it was too easy to break windows.

In my last STR the city regulations only allow 8 guests in the home even though it is 6 bedrooms and almost 4,000 sq. ft. The city also does regular check-ins and issues fines quite regularly to "unregistered or non conforming STRs that break the rules. The city is also known to revoke occupancy permits if found to be breaking regulations.

So I would say check with your local governing board if there are any regulations against having a "bunk room".

User Stats

Votes
Brooklyn McCarty
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Mar 2 2023, 17:49

I would make sure there is no local restrictions against it. 

I would also make sure there are multiple fire escapes, egress windows, walk out doors, etc. IF you have all those things in place, then go for it. 

User Stats

Votes
Leslie Anne Morris
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Mar 2 2023, 19:25

In my experience, insurance has had a problem with bunk beds in general - it requires a rider and additional expense.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Mar 3 2023, 04:34

I would verify with your insurance provider and I would talk to the Fire Department or Building Inspector to see if there are any limitations to the number of occupants in a given space. Confirm you have legal egress windows/doors.

I would consider whether the extra income is worth the extra wear-and-tear on the home.  Putting 16 people in a house designed for eight is asking for trouble.

And have you ever tried making those bunk beds? I have them in my STR and hate having to make them.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Mason Jeffries
  • Investor
  • Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Nashville / Smoky Mountains, TN
Replied Mar 3 2023, 10:47

Call your local health department and ask that exact question. They are the ones who approve septic's and will have a definite answer for you. Adding to what everyone else is saying, as long as it is habitable space (finished floors, walls, and ceilings, heated and cooled, smoke alarms, egress) your probably fine to add some bunks. My rule is two guests per bedroom +2. Guest comfort is important. Just because someone can cram 20 people in a house, doesn't mean they should.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.