Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Garrett Jennings
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oshkosh, WI
Votes |
Short -term rental in Mesa, AZ

Garrett Jennings
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oshkosh, WI
Posted Jan 17 2023, 15:23

I am from Wisconsin, and looking to move into the Mesa or Scottsdale area.  I have an opportunity to purchase a property for a short term rental in the area.   I would love some insight from anyone with experience in that area.  I have a desire for moving South so I figured I could move there to manage the rental, while also working a W2 and seeking more properties.  Would love to connect with anyone in the area as well!  

User Stats

Votes
Melanie Johnston
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 17 2023, 16:31

Hi, @Garrett Jennings.

I just helped a client buy a 5-bedroom home and launch his STR in Mesa. I have several clients who operate STRs in Scottsdale.

Both cities recently instituted licensing requirements for STR properties. You can find the details online. Also, I can send you a copy of a presentation on Scottsdale's rules and regs given last week by the Assistant City Manager of Scottsdale, the man in charge of regulating them.

It ties all the requirements up in one neat presentation and has helpful links. I got it after attending his talk and I'm happy to share it with anyone who wants to receive it.

There is a very helpful Facebook group for Arizona STR owners. Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/group...

Keys to a successful Metro Phoenix STR:

* Having a pool, fenced if possible (if you are going for more of a corporate or business audience might not be as crucial)

* 3-plus bedrooms

* Non-HOA neighborhood. (Most HOAs have a minimum 30-day rental policy. Some have a 3- or 6-month minimum.)

* Near--or a reasonable Uber away from--attractions and events.

Mesa draws a lot of larger families for sporting events and tournaments and to be near relatives. If you want to advertise "close to Scottsdale events," look at north Mesa near the upper Loop 202.

Scottsdale has a limit of 6 adults (plus their dependent children) per home so they will be eyeing listings that advertise "Sleeps 20!" Might want to avoid that.

If you need more info or help with property searches, please reach out.

Melanie

Realty ONE Group Logo